Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know the shelf life of argan oil?  My cousin loves Josie Maran's argan oil and has half of a supersize one left.  She's debating getting another one (is this a once a year thing like Wen gallons?), but didn't know if it would go bad before she got to use it all.  Thanks for any info.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Shelf life of Argan Oil?

Josie's AO does not have preservatives and it does go rancid. I buy mine elsewhere and it lasts much longer with preservatives.

Valued Contributor

I believe Josie has said a 2 year shelf life.

Honored Contributor

I don't want AO with preservatives.  I want 100% pure AO.

I don't buy Josies, I buy a different brand.  I forgot I had a bottle in my stash and pulled it out 3 years later and it was rancid.    

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to her website the shelf life is 12 to 18 months She advises the product be used promptly when received.  Oil is not something I would stock-up on, but purchase when needed.

Honored Contributor

I recently opened the last bottle of her regular Argan Oil that I purchased from QVC 18 months ago. It smells fine and performs well. Smiley Happy

Not sure if the same can be said for her "light" oil, but assume so.

Honored Contributor

I have some small bottles that are 2 years old and fine. But even using my 4oz bottle for a year I still have at 1/3 left.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I had a bottle go rancid...dumped it and no longer buy Josie's Argon Oil.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

According to her website the shelf life is 12 to 18 months She advises the product be used promptly when received.  Oil is not something I would stock-up on, but purchase when needed.

I moved a couple years ago and had misplaced a box of beauty items.    Six months after the move I found that box in a guest room closet.   The bottle of AO had been a cool place .... and it was rancid!!   I checked my online purchases and I had originally bought it 11 months earlier.

I have also bought those cute color sticks and they started smelling bad in less than a year.   This is the down side of products with no preservatives.

@Stargazer77    I wouldn't buy more than I could use in a few months .... there are promotions and sales rather often, so buy it as you need it.   JMO

Honored Contributor

I think if it  is left unopened then it would be fine; but once the air gets to any oil, it will go bad if not used. I ordered a JM TSV last year and just threw out a bout 1/3 of a small bottle of light argan oil as it smelled bad. So wasted some $ by not using it up. If you bought a huge bottle then use it everywhere so you aren't just wasting $$. That's why these huge bottles of stuff at such a great price, really aren't a good value, if they are not used. Am learning that the hard way, as I am throwing out alot of product that has turned bad.