Respected Contributor

Shampoo for color treated hair

I need a recommendation for shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. I spend an obscene amount on my color and don't want to mess it up. Am returning the Aveda that was on special because it doesn't say color correct.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shampoo for color treated hair

Ask the person who colors your hair.  I gave up long ago and I have silver hair that gets me all kinds of compliments.  I use a shampoo that is purple in color to make sure I don't turn blonde.  But as far as shampoo for color, you can also check the labels. 

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I need a recommendation for shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. I spend an obscene amount on my color and don't want to mess it up. Am returning the Aveda that was on special because it doesn't say color correct.

@lavendar   Check that the shampoo says color safe, but double check that it doesn't contain sulfates which will strip the color from hair. Just becuase a shampoo and conditioner claims it's all natural, etc., you still need to check the ingredients. 

IMO, high priced, salon products doesn't mean they're better than drugstore shampoos. 

Respected Contributor

Pureology--$$$--but simply the best.  I use the Hydrate version.  I get a base color and highlight every four weeks, so I get it about spending a fortune on color. I also get a keratin treatment every two months.  I spend A LOT of money on my hair.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar 

Why not check with the salon where you had your color done?

I've used various brands when I colored my hair.  

-------------------------------------------

@lavendar wrote:

Respected Contributor

I use Matrix color obsessed. That’s why my stylist used.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This one got rave reviews on Amazon ("Amazon's Choice") and also on MakeupAlley dot com. I'm about to color my hair for the first time and I think I need this. There is also a conditioner.

Respected Contributor

I sent him an email. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I use JOICO K-Pak color therapy color protecting shampoo. (they also have a conditioner)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Redken Color extend magnetics Shampoo and the Color extend magnetics Conditioner from the recommendation of the salesperson at Ulta.

So far I am happy with this product, I have wasted too much money on products that did little or nothing for me.  I only shampoo once or twice a week using a dime size dab, a little goes a long way.