Valued Contributor

Anyone have a suggestion for what works for setting eye makeup and keeping it from transferring to eyelid?  I've tried just about every long-wearing, waterproof and cake shadow and liner and still have issues with it traveling.  Is there anything that will set it and keep it from running?  I guess oily eyelids are a good thing for wrinkles but not so much for eye makeup.

Honored Contributor

Re: Setting Eye Makeup?

[ Edited ]

A makeup setting spray...keep your eyes closed!  Urban Decay makes a very good one. About $30 for 4-ounce size. Fine mist so it lasts a fairly long time.

6d1c348ae971522ae046d8f5c4ce493e.jpg

Respected Contributor

@patticakes You need a matte primer for your lids & up. Also use a pencil brush with it just under your lower lashes. The way to keep it from transferring is after you apply your shadow, use the pencil brush & apply translucent powder over the rim of your lash line & under your lower lash line. The Tarte primer I reco.d can also be used for your lids, sort of a 2 for 1. if you don't have stained lids. A pencil liner for oily eyelids is not the best. I would suggest Stila stay all day liquid eyeliner...If you want a thin line eyeliner,Hourglass slim gel pencil liner is great also for tight lining. HTH! My Mom has oily eyelids & that method works well for her.

Honored Contributor

Re: Setting Eye Makeup?

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

Anyone have a suggestion for what works for setting eye makeup and keeping it from transferring to eyelid?  I've tried just about every long-wearing, waterproof and cake shadow and liner and still have issues with it traveling.  Is there anything that will set it and keep it from running?  I guess oily eyelids are a good thing for wrinkles but not so much for eye makeup.

@patticakes your question is a little confusing since eye makeup is supposed to go on the eyelid.  You say things travel and run.  Do you mean, eyeliner and mascara or are you referring to eyeshadow that creases?  If your shadow is creasing, I would suggest Skinn Eyeshadow Primer and Setting Veil.  Rather than a traditional eyeliner, I would suggest using a small, flat, angled, eyeliner brush with your preferred color of eyeshadow.  Once you're done with the application, but before you add mascara, you could use a setting mist, if you like.  It may not be necessary, though.

Regular Contributor

Old School Method:

Gently swipe your lid area with a transluscent pressed powder, before applying eyeshadow, waterproof eyeliner, and waterproof mascara. This got me through highschool and college. Lol

Modern Method:

Use an eye primer (UD Primer Potion is what I used a lot, when I had oily skin).

Use waterproof mascara, eyeliner, mascara).

Or, you can use something like MAC Paints. It is basically a tinted eyeshadow base. I use BareCanvas (a pale ivory beige, with faint shimmer....barely noticeable). I apply eyeshadow over MAC Paint.

Either method is effective. Smiley Happy

As others have stated, do not use oily moisturizers. Stick to oil free, esp around the eyes.