Honored Contributor

Re: Selling Gently Used Makeup

@151949 wrote:

And people wonder how they got something like MRSA or Flesh eating bacteria. 

Yes and there was a young woman recently who borrowed her friends makeup brush and developed an infection that left her paralyzed.

Years ago when my son was pre-med he saw a case of MRSA in the ER. The young woman said she had borrowed makeup. After that I stopped using testers at Sephora. He also warned me that lipsticks are not always safe as even alcohol cannot always kill all germs on the surface of a lipstick.

Super Contributor

Just my thought/opinion.  Makeup is something that is put so close to mucus membranes on the face (the eyes, mouth, nose).  It seem like an easy way for bacteria to enter the body.

Trusted Contributor

I had a box of makeup and Bath and Body works products that I used maybe once or never at all. I put it out at my garage sale just to see what would happen and every single item sold. Now I wasn't asking much at all for any of it, but there was plenty of interest! 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Yes and there was a young woman recently who borrowed her friends makeup brush and developed an infection that left her paralyzed.

Years ago when my son was pre-med he saw a case of MRSA in the ER. The young woman said she had borrowed makeup. After that I stopped using testers at Sephora. He also warned me that lipsticks are not always safe as even alcohol cannot always kill all germs on the surface of a lipstick.

@Trinity11  Lipstick, gloss and mascara are the largest offenders for spreading bacteria.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@WenGirl42  Because I would explain to family and friends that the makeup is gently used and ask if they want it.  If you have it on a website who do you think will trust your remarks about it?  Thus, it is disgusting and unsanitary in the customers viewing it on the website, wengirl.

@Katcat1, I think that those who might donate are doing so only through sites or organizations that clearly state that the items are gently used.

Oy.  I never got the impression the OP is trying to dupe anyone into buying her gently used make-up but selling it as brand new.

And if a make-up artist can clean and sanitize the make-up before it is used on another client, why can't someone buying gently used do the same? 

@Lipstickdiva  I’m hoping many do properly clean used makeup. To me, it’s iffy when not done properly. 

Honored Contributor

Makeup is not that expensive that purchasing used products for a $5-$10 discount would ever make it worth getting infected. Passing it on to people you know? Never.

Honored Contributor

I've passed on unused makeup or something I just tried once using a clean q tip but If I used my fingers or touched it more than once with an applicator - it goes in the trash. Usually these are items that come in a kit.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

If you had seen things I've seen in 42 years in the ICU - you would know not to touch used MU with a 10 foot pole. I once had a patient who had flesh eating bacteria infection on his face. He had borrowed some shaving cream and slightly nicked himself while shaving. He lost the lower half of his face - many skin grafts. He went thru hell.

Frequent Contributor

I agree...geesh,,so many on here having a tizzy over gently used makeup. Its not that big of a deal.  I hope the OP has some luck with her stash.  People need to learn how to say things a bit less -b--chy.

Frequent Contributor

Its  "ILLEGAL"???? to sell used makeup...hmmmm,,,never heard that before.