Honored Contributor

SOME TIME FOR QUESTIONS.... JUNE 26TH

Would anyone like to ask a question? Personally, it's been so hot and humid, I'm down to tinted SPF, a bit of concealer, blush and lips. 

How has your makeup or skincare changed or not in the summer?

Super Contributor

Re: SOME TIME FOR QUESTIONS.... JUNE 26TH

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your time and sharing with us!  My eyes are more hollow---no bags.  Anything to help with this not looking so prominent?  I am 70, and have age 70 normal wrinkles!  If you have time---any makeup tips for 70's?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

sort of off topic  - Just read an article on Huffington Post regarding sunscreens with anti aging ingredients in them.  Never knew they existed. Most of them are quite affordable.

www dot huffpost.com/entry/sunscreen-spf-anti-aging

Honored Contributor

@pietook wrote:

Thanks for your time and sharing with us!  My eyes are more hollow---no bags.  Anything to help with this not looking so prominent?  I am 70, and have age 70 normal wrinkles!  If you have time---any makeup tips for 70's?

@pietook   I'm 73, so can relate. Hollowness is an issue as we lose volume...guess you know that. Makeup can help. I now use lighter shadows on my lids and in the crease. Keep in mind that darker colors recede and the lighter colors bring that area forward.

I now use a shadow in my crease only about 2 shades darker than my skin tone as my "transition shade" after applying a light shade from lid to brow....after applying a lid primer, using a powder shadow all over sets it  for me and allows me to move and blend other shadows easier.

I've been liking longwear stick shadows because those lighter shades in the crease do not budge and come down on the lid. Liner: I do tightline (know everyone's tired of hearing about that trick) and may use a muted color (like khaki, grey or muted violet) that compliments my green eyes, on the outer corner of lid and blend inwards.

With hollowness, it's good not to allow that slightly darker shade to go up into the crease area, but rather, as I said, keep that crease shade lighter than we we used to do. 

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

It's so kind of you to help us this way @Shanus .  

I've used mineral powder as my foundation for years.  I don't feel this is working for me anymore.  I'm 66 and think I'd like to change to a liquid foundation.  I only want light coverage.  I simply don't know how to pick a shade.  I was thinking of going to my local department store and seeing if the sales clerk could help me.  What do you think?  And thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

sort of off topic  - Just read an article on Huffington Post regarding sunscreens with anti aging ingredients in them.  Never knew they existed. Most of them are quite affordable.

www dot huffpost.com/entry/sunscreen-spf-anti-aging

@cindyNC   IMHO, we never the percentage of skincare in another face product, so I prefer to use my own serums andmoisturizers separate from any makeup or sunscreen.

Some foundations tout primers, vit. C, serums that hydrate, spf, etc., but I have no idea if enough of those can be in there or if they are as effective as ones I choose. 

I would not use foundations on my neck or chest, so sunscreen in there is a NO to me. I still need at least a SPF 50 daily before any foundation. I also don't use a tsp. of foundation which is the recommendation by derms that is necessary for protection. 

Sunscreens w/ moisturizer included is sometimes helpful, though. The question would be how it sits under makeup and if it's too much moisture. 

Respected Contributor

As the hotter months come, I do often change my look. However, if we are going out for the evening, I still like to wear foundation, eye makeup, blush, and lipstick. I love makeup so its not a chore to do that. Many times during the week if I am just running errands I just use a TM and mascara,

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

It's so kind of you to help us this way @Shanus .  

I've used mineral powder as my foundation for years.  I don't feel this is working for me anymore.  I'm 66 and think I'd like to change to a liquid foundation.  I only want light coverage.  I simply don't know how to pick a shade.  I was thinking of going to my local department store and seeing if the sales clerk could help me.  What do you think?  And thank you in advance.

@Citrine1   You're so welcome and I love answering questions when i have a block of time and also check back during the day. 

Foundations, if possible, are always better chosen at a dept. store or Ulta or Sephora. The shades online are never what they appear in person...monitors differ greatly.

Anyone in the makeup dept. should be able to direct you to a line that has the requested coverage, shade range, etc. Please ask for samples and try the foundations at home for a few days in different lighting and with your unsual skincare first to see how it all works together.

***Unless you're "married" to your current concealer, please ask for one in the same line that's usually formulated to work together w/ the foundation...especially shade wise.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh good, that's just what I will do!  Thanks so much for your input @Shanus .  I don't use a concealer -- I guess the sales clerk will have a stern talk with me!  Oh boy.  

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

As the hotter months come, I do often change my look. However, if we are going out for the evening, I still like to wear foundation, eye makeup, blush, and lipstick. I love makeup so its not a chore to do that. Many times during the week if I am just running errands I just use a TM and mascara,

@Tricolor .. Same here. I obviously love and do makeup on others during the week a few days, so need to do an "almost full face" for clients to see, but have tweaked it in the heat. 

Tinted moisturizer or a tinted sunscreen with enough coverage and concealer are enough in my daily life...oh, definitely a bit of lip color which I also tap on my cheeks. Luckily, my brows and lashes didn't turn grey (yet!), so I'm OK not putting on mascara.