Super Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

On 1/5/2015 steiny3844 said:

I really appreciate this thread. I am really scared about all the debt and clutter in my life. I have been worried for a while. I'm hoping that I will finally do something about both by reading everyones posts. My husband and I meant to declutter years ago but I guess it was just too overwhelming. He died suddenly, and the job seems even larger. One thing I am promising myself is our trash bin must be full every time it is picked up. At least it feels like a start. I'm very worried about my debt if something suddenly happens to me. I must make sure the only transactions on all debt is in the form of payments. I don't post much, but I do take advantage of advice posted by others. It will be great if I start posting more because of my success.

Just read your post and want to say how sorry I am for your loss.

I know how you feel about being scared on your credit card debt as I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I contacted each creditor and spoke with them about paying off the cards and what I needed to do. Most of them were very nice and understood I was really sincere in wanting to pay these off. First, they lowered my interest rate and then with my permission they froze the card so I couldn't use it anymore. I only kept one card for emergencies. I had a lot of debt, but with their help, I was able to get them paid off and now feel like I can breathe again.

Don't be afraid. Be proactive and learn how to pay these off. You can do this Steiny. It just takes time.

VickiSmile

Frequent Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015-join us if you want to commit to spending less and want support! Week 1

On 1/5/2015 Irish1210 said:

Hi Gal-Pals ~~ I am still working on the closet I started on Saturday. So far I have accumulated 3 large bags to be donated which is a big accomplishment, hope to finish this particular area today.

Does anyone have ideas on how to store scarves (not heavy winter ones)? I currently have them grouped and on three hangers ~ it works, but I can't see them all.........maybe I need to toss a few more.

I do use those hanging cloth/plastic shoe racks (the winter scarves fit nicely in the shoe "pockets") to hold my winter scarves ~ that has worked well. I often pick these up at garage sales as the older ones are more sturdy.

All your suggestions and ideas are so appreciated ~ It's a pleasure to be part of this group!

Let's keep "lifting up" each other!

Hi I was browsing the web and found this: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/scarf-hanger/ maybe it will help you out. I also found some things you can pick up at HSN from Joy Mangano to organize your scarves: http://www.hsn.com/products/huggable-hangers-4-bar-hanger/10068434 another one is: http://www.hsn.com/products/huggable-hangers-2pk-butterfly-hangers/10068432 and the last one is: http://www.hsn.com/products/huggable-hangers-2pk-flower-accessory-hangers/10063746. I found this item at ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70108912/ Hope this helps you out:-)
Frequent Contributor

Hi all!!! I won't lie... I did get a beefier boyfriend cardigan because I don't like to wear heavy coats. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I did clean out my closets and donated a huge black bag full of jeans. I like jeans, what can I say....:-/ but the sobering part of the process was(if you shop at OldNavy or Gap) looking at the little tag that says what year the jeans were made and all I can say is I was shocked. I had jeans, that I had not worn for a couple of years due to weight gain, that were from 2007. Yea, all this time someone else could have benefitted from wearing my clothes and I chose to keep them because most of us have this little voice in our heads that says, "save these jeans or shirts because you will lose the weight".... Yea sure... If and when I lose the weight I will be more than happy to get myself new items from quality designers for less money. There is no need to hoard these "someday/maybe" clothes that will not get any wear and just take up your space(that most of us seem to have so little of to begin with). Kuddos to us all for wanting to make a positive change in our lives. I wish all of you well and hope for everyone to have a blessed day and stay positive. One step at a time. :-)
Regular Contributor

On 1/6/2015 vickisok said:
On 1/5/2015 steiny3844 said:

I really appreciate this thread. I am really scared about all the debt and clutter in my life. I have been worried for a while. I'm hoping that I will finally do something about both by reading everyones posts. My husband and I meant to declutter years ago but I guess it was just too overwhelming. He died suddenly, and the job seems even larger. One thing I am promising myself is our trash bin must be full every time it is picked up. At least it feels like a start. I'm very worried about my debt if something suddenly happens to me. I must make sure the only transactions on all debt is in the form of payments. I don't post much, but I do take advantage of advice posted by others. It will be great if I start posting more because of my success.

Just read your post and want to say how sorry I am for your loss.

I know how you feel about being scared on your credit card debt as I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I contacted each creditor and spoke with them about paying off the cards and what I needed to do. Most of them were very nice and understood I was really sincere in wanting to pay these off. First, they lowered my interest rate and then with my permission they froze the card so I couldn't use it anymore. I only kept one card for emergencies. I had a lot of debt, but with their help, I was able to get them paid off and now feel like I can breathe again.

Don't be afraid. Be proactive and learn how to pay these off. You can do this Steiny. It just takes time.

VickiSmile

Thank you so much for your response Vicki. I think calling the banks is a good idea. I'm going to to stop using any cc for the month of January just to give myself a pat on the back for doing it on my own. Involving the banks at that point sounds like a very good idea. Just thinking proactive after reading this thread has given me a better frame of mind. You guys are great!

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for your response Vicki. I think calling the banks is a good idea. I'm going to to stop using any cc for the month of January just to give myself a pat on the back for doing it on my own. Involving the banks at that point sounds like a very good idea. Just thinking proactive after reading this thread has given me a better frame of mind. You guys are great!

Oh I am so glad you saw my response. I really do remember how afraid I was over my cc debt so was hoping you would see my answer.

Here's Hoping You Have a Great New Year

Vicki

Frequent Contributor

Oh I am so glad you saw my response. I really do remember how afraid I was over my cc debt so was hoping you would see my answer.

Vicki

Steiny3844, that's great advice from Vicki. I do hope things take a positive turn and all works out for you. As Vicki noted, cc debt can be incredibly overwhelming and in your situation ever more so, but you have lots of support when you need it here, and those of us who are/have been in the same boat; we can all help each other out.

Regular Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Jolexi said:

Vicki

Steiny3844, that's great advice from Vicki. I do hope things take a positive turn and all works out for you. As Vicki noted, cc debt can be incredibly overwhelming and in your situation ever more so, but you have lots of support when you need it here, and those of us who are/have been in the same boat; we can all help each other out.

Thank you Jolexi. I enjoy these forums, but have never gotten involved before very much. This thread just spoke to me. Just starting to do something positive has already made me feel better. This thread will keep me moving in the right direction!

Esteemed Contributor

The Q is making it easy not to order, LOL. More Dyson today..

The last of my previously ordered items are out for delivery today. Looking forward to a "clean slate" after so many on line holiday orders.

Continuing the much needed purge of my small basement storage area. Went by Goodwill yesterday with a bag of DS's clothes and 3 bags of household items. I will be back there tomorrow with more. My desire is to live with less "stuff", as this has been a recurring problem for me. I now recognize that I need to add nothing to my home this year. I want space much more than stuff.

Respected Contributor

Queendiva, my last packages are due to be delivered today too. After that--no more, except necessities.

I also want 'space'. I live in a 1400 square foot townhouse and I am literally full. Not hoarder full, but full. I didn't get to my entry way last night because I have a race coming up on the 18th, so have added a treadmill workout after I get home.

For me, this challenge is not only about not spending money on "wants", but getting rid of excess in my life--things I do not use etc. The clothing I bagged up was in almost new condition and someone else will enjoy it.

Esteemed Contributor

DrKelli, I'm right there with you on every point you make.