Frequent Contributor
On 2/17/2015 queendiva said:

Jolexi: just read your post. Way to go with cutting back on your cable bill! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks queendiva {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'm trying to implement the notion in every way possible.

I was just discussing this cable bill situation with my daughter on the phone and she commented how great it would be, if cable companies stopped these silly "package deals" and just let you choose the channels you want. For example, they charge you for standard/starter(basic) (which is about 20 channels - more than enough if you ask me), but then instead of letting you choose the channels you'd like, they go from the standard package to the bundles, which have channels most of us don't even watch on a good day. So, why not charge the flat rate for the basic channels, and then let us choose an additional 5 channels for say, $10 dollars more? And then if we want to add in increments of 5 after that, charge us a dollar or two more? It would make sense for the consumer; I'm sure not so much for the companies trying to make money. I wanted to add a channel based in Europe, but can't because then I'd have to get the International package, and give up some of my english language channels that I do enjoy. Like I said, I'm looking to do away with it eventually.

Honored Contributor
On 2/17/2015 Jolexi said:

Jolexi: just read your post. Way to go with cutting back on your cable bill! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks queendiva {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'm trying to implement the notion in every way possible.

I was just discussing this cable bill situation with my daughter on the phone and she commented how great it would be, if cable companies stopped these silly "package deals" and just let you choose the channels you want. For example, they charge you for standard/starter(basic) (which is about 20 channels - more than enough if you ask me), but then instead of letting you choose the channels you'd like, they go from the standard package to the bundles, which have channels most of us don't even watch on a good day. So, why not charge the flat rate for the basic channels, and then let us choose an additional 5 channels for say, $10 dollars more? And then if we want to add in increments of 5 after that, charge us a dollar or two more? It would make sense for the consumer; I'm sure not so much for the companies trying to make money. I wanted to add a channel based in Europe, but can't because then I'd have to get the International package, and give up some of my english language channels that I do enjoy. Like I said, I'm looking to do away with it eventually.

I think most people would love that. My cable co is so heavy into sports channels and this is where they make all the profit that they don't want to go that way.

We pay a fee sports fee!! that has since been renamed and is not negotiable. We don't watch any sports so I would gladly give those up.

I read that since just about everything is streamable they want to hold on to as much as they can.

We downgraded one level, I am hesitant to go down one more as then I would loose Hist In'tl and Bravo and those I like.

It is really too much money for what you get.

Honored Contributor

Have you looked into a paid VPN that will let you watch that country's channels?

Frequent Contributor
On 2/17/2015 jackthebear said:

Have you looked into a paid VPN that will let you watch that country's channels?

I have, but I can't seem to access it through my computer. I just don't want to have to pay for 3 dozen extra channels that I would never watch in exchange for the one I do.

I'll just live with it, I guess; I'll be annoyed for a bit, but I'll live lol.

And incidentally, I think that's pretty disgusting that they charge you a fee for Sports and give you no choice in the matter. There has to be something illegal about that....

Honored Contributor

I have, but I can't seem to access it through my computer. I just don't want to have to pay for 3 dozen extra channels that I would never watch in exchange for the one I do.

And incidentally, I think that's pretty disgusting that they charge you a fee for Sports and give you no choice in the matter. There has to be something illegal about that....

i think that is why they changed the name of the fee {#emotions_dlg.mad}

take a look at hotspot shield, i use it successfully

Frequent Contributor

i think that is why they changed the name of the fee {#emotions_dlg.mad}

take a look at hotspot shield, i use it successfully

That's right sneaky of them...

I will look into that jackthebear; thanks! Smile

Honored Contributor

Glad to read I'm not the only one with guest room clutter issues. I had the bed cleaned off and now have "stuff" on it again. When I get back from errands I'm taking care of that--today! Also, taking a bag of sample cosmetics and some I don't use to a "shelter" type place where people can use these. Going to resist getting samples in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

The only reason the guest bed and bedroom are clean is because DS's GF is here once or twice a month. The closet does have to be purged-my stuff.

Occasional Contributor

Ladies, I am enjoying this thread so much. I've been decluttering for the last couple of months and it is wonderful. I am a neat freak and although everything in its place, I finally have gotten rid of things that seemed to stay in that place and not get used. From reading this thread I've cut my car insurance in half! I was determined to do it before the renewal and have gone with a different provider. Smooth transition and a great savings. This thread is such an incentive and makes you want to tackle things. Keep up the great work everybody, you are all doing great, and thanks for sharing the tips and wonderful ideas!

Esteemed Contributor

Great job SierraNJ!

If, like me, you live in NJ, saving half on car insurance is a lot of $ saved!