Frequent Contributor
Hi - I got a burst of rosacea and was prescribed tons of sulphur cleansing products and metro gel etc and everything made my skin look like sandpaper. With even more rosacea. I went to Trish McEvoy's husband - derm Ronald Sherman - and he took one look and said "beauty booster serum will help you." Incredibly kind man with incredibly good advice. Within a week - it started to clear. It's priced high at $125 - but get a sample at Nordie's, call their office and see if they will send some with a good refund policy, or check HSN. It works - and after all the money I wasted - I use it. Ps - I wash with their gentle lotion cleanser or Neutrogena Pore - refining blue cleanser. Sunscreen is essential. Good luck and post back! xo
Contributor

I just started taking Oracea two weeks ago. So far I have had no side effects from it but I don't know if I really see any improvement yet. I also have used metrogel and finicea in the past. The best thing that has worked for me is IPL laser therapy. I also just got a prescription for a brand new FDA approved cream that you put on your face and it stop the redness for 12 hours. It does not help treat rosacea, only stops the red flushing. I have not tired it yet.

Super Contributor
On 1/6/2014 Beautybella said: Hi - I got a burst of rosacea and was prescribed tons of sulphur cleansing products and metro gel etc and everything made my skin look like sandpaper. With even more rosacea. I went to Trish McEvoy's husband - derm Ronald Sherman - and he took one look and said "beauty booster serum will help you." Incredibly kind man with incredibly good advice. Within a week - it started to clear. It's priced high at $125 - but get a sample at Nordie's, call their office and see if they will send some with a good refund policy, or check HSN. It works - and after all the money I wasted - I use it. Ps - I wash with their gentle lotion cleanser or Neutrogena Pore - refining blue cleanser. Sunscreen is essential. Good luck and post back! xo

You are very lucky... I tried that serum and within a week my skin looked like I had a major sunburn.

Valued Contributor
I use two topical RXs, Metrogel in the A.M. And Finacea at night. Both take time to work; samples give you an opportunity to determine if you will have an adverse reaction, because one will come quick. All my skincare is bought mail order from Paula's Choice, mostly the skin recovery line, although I save $ on cleanser by using Olay Foaming Facewash. Sun is a trigger, more so with topical meds so it is important to use a good sunscreen. Zinc oxide & titanium dioxide are best bets as they deflect the sun's rays. Avobenzone and others absorb rays & heat, making the condition worse. I am diligent in my routine, in my 40s with ultra-fair skin, and need no concealer to hide my condition. I've had Rosacea for nearly 30 years. Sometimes I look a bit flushed, but over time it has improved. Fragrances, dyes, and preservatives ending in "zone" are some of my known triggers, and also trigger a flare-up of contact dermatitis.
Trusted Contributor
I totally agree with the posters above who say everyone is different. My skin does well with metro-gel, it does take a while to start working. I've also noticed the easier the product is on my skin the better it works. I switched to cera ve products (most specifically cleanser) a couple years ago and the difference is unbelievable. I rarely even use the metro-gel any more.
Honored Contributor

I do not have rosasea but I use Marula oil for the fact that it has more antioxidants than argan oil and cuts down on redness. I recently purchased Acure Organics Marula oil. You may want to Google Marula oil and read all about it.

kindness is strength
Contributor

I have used Metro Gel with some success, but use it only when I have a break out (usually on my nose). The best thing I've found is changing my diet. Once I found out I have gluten, dairy, and egg sensitivity, I notice that my rosacea gets very bad when I eat these foods. For me, dairy seems to be the biggest trigger, but they all seem to adversely affect my skin. Totally agree, it seems to be a chameleon of a skin disorder-different things cause flare ups in different people. I think it would be worth checking into the food sensitivities. You could start with an elimination diet and see if that helps.

Contributor

For those that use metrogel and finacea, at what part of your beauty routine do you apply. Do you put it on after you cleanse and before anything else, before or after moisturizer, what about serums?

Valued Contributor
Missey_1973, I put on my Metrogel after I cleanse and apply my Skin Recovery toner and topical BHA liquid. Same with Finacea. I don't always use BHA, especially if the weather/wind has irritated my skin. Then I continue with any serums, moisturizers and sunscreen. The med needs to be the first real treatment you apply. BHA can help penetration, and is the ONLY reason it goes on before the med. Otherwise it'll try to exfoliate through the medication, lessening its efficacy. In these sub-zero temperatures, I am guaranteed to have a flare-up from exposure. There no way to avoid it without leaving the house. Unfortunately, I can't teach my high school classes from my living room. I have debated investing in a baklava and goggles on occasion. My skin was oily until my 30s, and now it is dry/very dry. I'm still getting used to the changes. I strongly recommend looking into Paula's Choice products online and joining the Beautypedia website.
Regular Contributor

I've had Rosacea for 25 years and agree with the comments of the other posters, especially that much of it is trial and error and to treat your skin gently. I can't use benzol peroxide, topical alcohol or AHAs at all -- my skin will flame up -- but I've had good luck with BHAs which have anti inflammatory properties. As for over the counter-products, I like Aveeno calming facial wash for my face. I then use a bit of the Clinique redness cream a previous poster mentioned followed by Eucerin's sensitive skin moisturizer with sunscreen (has a slight green tint to combat redness). I mix the Eucerin with a bit of Cerave moisturizer to thin it out a bit and give my skin extra moisture which I need this time of year. My flushing triggers are stress and booze, two things I try to avoid, although the latter sometimes helps the former ...