Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Shereene Idris offered some points for beginning a retinol regime. She said that it's best to start in the fall or spring because of skin content in different seasons. Start using retinol products at night 2-3 times a week to get the skin used to the product. Can use more often after several weeks or a month if needed. 

Doctorly with Dr.Maxfield and Dr. Shah also like retinols, and they say to start easy to get used to the product. Go with something gentle that suits your skin needs. Doctorly mentions Cerave Retinol Serum (either resurfacing or renewing depending on needs. Both Doctorly and Idris mention Olay Retinol 24 for beginners. 

I'm interested in starting a retinol regime, but will probably wait a couple months. This isn't a emergency where I have to start immediately. Will  be going with retinol product, not retinA since I've never tried this before. 

Both Doctorly and Dr. Idris give great tips, and, though have different ideas, they do agree on many things. They are the only videos I watch for skincare. Makeup or fashion I go elsewhere. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I started using a 3% Retinol serum, no kind of prep or tutorials , I just apply it at night. Put a light moistirizer over it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't do a "ritual" or anything "complicated".    And if I forget for a day, that's OK, too.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Retinol starting tips

[ Edited ]

If I had to do it all over again from the beginning then I would go straight for the Retin-A and not even start with retinol. I would use the lowest strength Retin-A and then work up gradually from there. My derm said that if you are going to use a retinoid product, retinol is going to cost the most to get to your goal and that you get more bang for your buck when you use Retin-A.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Have you ever tried Diffrin?  Adapalene?  I had a well known local dermatologist recommend it to me.  Not that I stuck with it. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SilleeMee Have you ever tried Diffrin?  Adapalene?  I had a well known local dermatologist recommend it to me.  Not that I stuck with it. . . Woman Embarassed

@Sooner 

No I've never used adapalene. Although it is made for acne, some people claim that it helps smooth the skin which it can but not as deeply as tretinoin. Only tret has the ability to reach the deepest part of the skin where there are retinoid receptors that are responsible for giving us anti-aging benefits beyond what adapalene can do.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

No I've never used adapalene. Although it is made for acne, some people claim that it helps smooth the skin which it can but not as deeply as tretinoin. Only tret has the ability to reach the deepest part of the skin where there are retinoid receptors that are responsible for giving us anti-aging benefits beyond what adapalene can do.

@SilleeMee I'm mostly concerned even skin texture rather than wrinkles, so I will give it a go again.  I have some.  I should be better about using it!  Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

I mostly would like to give my skin a boost. I don't need to address any acne scars or large pores. Since my skin tends to be sensitive, I think retinol would be a better choice for me than retinA. If I tolerate the retinol well, I can always upgrade later.

Not looking for quick results, just something to add for some fine lines along with my moisturizers and calming serum. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I mostly would like to give my skin a boost. I don't need to address any acne scars or large pores. Since my skin tends to be sensitive, I think retinol would be a better choice for me than retinA. If I tolerate the retinol well, I can always upgrade later.

Not looking for quick results, just something to add for some fine lines along with my moisturizers and calming serum. 

You could try Buchinol if your skin is sensitive. It's the vegan or plant form of retinol. A lot of times people can tolerate it better. Paula's choice does have a retinol buchinol serum in their clinical line. Just a very tiny amount of retinol then like 2% buchinol.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Retinol starting tips

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  What retinol are you getting? Are you doing the Olay? Retinols are not all created equal. Some seem to be more buffered than others, PTR for instance, also RoC.

I've been using Alpha @.15%, which is low on the total pole in strength for well over 10 years, and which I have been able to use nightly. It is the consistent use of retinol that delivers the results, I think. Low strength in all that time has been excellent for me.

Just recently, though, I've switched over to MD complete. Don't know the strength, but it is a bit higher, I can tell. I've had no problems adjusting, but I am used to retinol, and also I have zero skin sensitivities. (I switched, not necessarily for higher strength, but for other reasons.)

Anyway, I am just advising that you begin w/ low strength. Your skin will need less time to adjust, but you will still notice positive changes. Your skin should never get red and/or overly dry. But it is still best to do that break-in period, suggested by those you've been watching.