Regular Contributor

Has anyone tried the Redken Acidic bonding shampoo and conditioner? Did you like or dislike? Thanks 

Honored Contributor

My hairdresser owns a Redken school, but really I avoid Redken products since they seem to rely heavily on silicones.  According to Ulta the Key Ingredient is Citric Acid.

Key Ingredients

• Citric Acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, which helps reinforce weakened bonds

That doesn't impress me much.  Citric acid is in a lot of products and is normally used to adjust the pH of the product.

Ever since Olaplex came on the scene many of the big brands have been promoting bond repair/strengthening products, but I don't think any of them perform as well as Olaplex which uses Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, a patented ingredient shown to repair broken bonds. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jobiz I have the shampoo and conditioner. Honestly, it didn't do anything special for my hair, but I'd say the same thing about olaplex. The shampoo and conditioner that truly improved my hair is Bumble and Bumble, particularly the volumizing set. Its expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Redken has been around for quite a few years.  I used it over40 years ago.  However, I would try out a product if I had a need.  Some of these new shampoos did not perform infact, one dried out my hair.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I love how it makes my hair look and feel. However, I noticed that my hair has a slight plastic like smell the next day. I wash my hair every 3-4 days and the smell seems to increase with each day. It might be me being hypersensitive because my husband claims that my hair doesn't smell. I have highlighted blond hair. I abuse my hair with heat appliances so my hair is dry. I have to use my Perfector to smooth and hide my damaged ends. My hair looks almost 'normal' when I use this duo and I can achieve a smooth look with just a blowdryer and round brush. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@jobiz I have the shampoo and conditioner. Honestly, it didn't do anything special for my hair, but I'd say the same thing about olaplex. The shampoo and conditioner that truly improved my hair is Bumble and Bumble, particularly the volumizing set. Its expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

@Goldengate8361 the bond builder in Olaplex's products are specifically targeted for damaged hair whether chemical or heat.  If your hair is not damaged, but just needs a good conditioner, it's not going to do anything for it. 

As someone who both colors and perms my hair, I can say that using Olaplex 1 & 2 the first time I color after I get a perm has made a huge difference from the times before when I didn't have Olaplex.  

Trusted Contributor

I have used the products.  I'm not going to say it was because of those products. BUT...

I was having an issue with hair fallout....I read on this blog to look for the ingregients linalool and limonene in the shampoo.  They can be irritants.  I'm not an expert. But ever since I changed shampoos that DO NOT contain those two ingrediants.....I am no longer losing hair.  ANd yes I am also taking biotin.  But I was also taking it before I switched. 

That was the only change.  Eliminating those two ingrediants.and one of those in in the redken shampoos.  They are in a lot of shampoos. But I was able to find quite a few at Ulta that didn't have them.