Honored Contributor

Recommendations for a light powder, finishing or otherwise

Since I have embarked on finding a product with SPF -- moisturizer, sunscreen, what have you, I would like to ask what kind of finishing powder or face powder you use to cut the shine of your foundation, sunscreen or whatever you use, and also to keep your other products from rubbing off!  The product has to be fragrance free.  Thanks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a light powder, finishing or otherwise

I recommend Clinique's blended finishing powder.  My shade is transparent neutral, but there are several other shades.  After Prescriptives went out of business, and Magic Powder was no longer available, I found this to be closest to that formula.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  I just wanted to reach out and tell you that I appreciate your posts concerning this topic--and I admire your determination to figure this out!

I have learned a lot from the responses to your posts, and I am VERY interested in seeing the responses you get to this thread!  I am currently using the sunscreen pictured below under my powder foundation (Pur).  I chose this sunscreen, because the labeling said it could act as a makeup primer, which it does okay at that.  

I don't know if I'm just not getting on enough powder foundation or what, but the shine is okay at first.  Soon, I look very shiny, and I hate it.  I like the powder foundation I use, and the color is spot on, but the shine!  I have resisted using a tinted mineral sunscreen under it, but I am thinking that is something I'm going to have to do.  I only wear makeup when I'm going to church or on occasions where I'm going to see someone I know..lol...so I only mind the shine when I'm actually using makeup.

I am considering purchasing the Australian Gold sunscreen.  I used it years ago, and it gave a nice matte finish.  I stopped using it, because I didn't want to do a double cleanse every single day.  But if I only wear it under makeup, then that is not an issue.  I can continue to wear my other sunscreens on my face if not wearing makeup and on my neck/chest, since they're not tinted nor water-resistant.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 7.55.15 AM.png

Honored Contributor

My 2 faves are--MAC prep+ prime--it is transparent but looks white in the compact--goes on smoothly and light as air and then the original mineral veil by BE.

Honored Contributor

Bare Minerals Mineral Veil, sheer and translucent. 

Honored Contributor

I've been using Skinn Vivid Wear Finishing Powder.  I have it on a great price A/S plan but it seems to currently be unavailable so it's anyone's guess if my next shipment will process. That being the case, I found a pink powder on Amazon that I'm going to try. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 , I'm using Elf High Definition loose powder....its white, goes on clear.   I had another from loreal, Hydra perfect,  but i can't find it anymore.   I also use and like very much The Neutrogena spf pictured by another poster...I mentioned to to you on your prior post.

Honored Contributor

Since I have skin on the drier side, talc free powders are what I prefer, especially under the eyes.  Below is what I have found:

Doll10 pink powder - have ordered this but it hasn't arrived yet.

Rare Beauty setting powder in Light.  Recently purchased this and have used it a couple of times and like it.  

Laura Mercier translucent ultra-blur

Hourglass veil translucent setting powder.

You can get some of the above in mini size which is what I usually do if it's offered.

Honored Contributor

@GYMGAL wrote:

I recommend Clinique's blended finishing powder.  My shade is transparent neutral, but there are several other shades.  After Prescriptives went out of business, and Magic Powder was no longer available, I found this to be closest to that formula.

@GYMGAL 

Thank you.  I appreciate this suggestion!  

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I just wanted to reach out and tell you that I appreciate your posts concerning this topic--and I admire your determination to figure this out!

I have learned a lot from the responses to your posts, and I am VERY interested in seeing the responses you get to this thread!  I am currently using the sunscreen pictured below under my powder foundation (Pur).  I chose this sunscreen, because the labeling said it could act as a makeup primer, which it does okay at that.  

I don't know if I'm just not getting on enough powder foundation or what, but the shine is okay at first.  Soon, I look very shiny, and I hate it.  I like the powder foundation I use, and the color is spot on, but the shine!  I have resisted using a tinted mineral sunscreen under it, but I am thinking that is something I'm going to have to do.  I only wear makeup when I'm going to church or on occasions where I'm going to see someone I know..lol...so I only mind the shine when I'm actually using makeup.

I am considering purchasing the Australian Gold sunscreen.  I used it years ago, and it gave a nice matte finish.  I stopped using it, because I didn't want to do a double cleanse every single day.  But if I only wear it under makeup, then that is not an issue.  I can continue to wear my other sunscreens on my face if not wearing makeup and on my neck/chest, since they're not tinted nor water-resistant.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 7.55.15 AM.png

@Ainhisg 

Thank you for your post!  Well, I am nothing if not determined - LOL!  I have several products for sun protection on my face which I am trying out.  So far, some have been satisfatory but all have left my face more shiny than I like and also as I mentioned, I have an issue with things such as tinted moisturizer rubbing off.  So I do need a light weight powder which doesn't make me look older and accentuate the fine lines which I have.  No easy task!  I have such sensitive skin with rosacea and just about everything bothers me.  I keep praying that I will eventually, and soon, come upon the miracle products for me!  I wish you good luck as well!