Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a light powder, finishing or otherwise

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I've been using Skinn Vivid Wear Finishing Powder.  I have it on a great price A/S plan but it seems to currently be unavailable so it's anyone's guess if my next shipment will process. That being the case, I found a pink powder on Amazon that I'm going to try. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thank you.  I hate when that happens!  What is the pink powder you are trying?

@AngelPuppy1 - Tintark

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I haven't been signed in for several days as I wasn't feel well.  Thanks for replying!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 you will have to let me know when you find something that works for you--sunscreen and powder.

I went ahead and ordered the Australian Gold to use under my Pur powder makeup.  We will see how that works, but at least it won't be shiny.  Honestly, I kind of remember it being almost enough to use as a foundation, and the color was good on me.  Instead of the one color they used to have, they now have three colors, and the light/fair is supposed to be the closest in color to the original.   It is a physical sunscreen.  I have big pores and some wrinkles, and it seemed like it blurred them and left a nice finish.  I might be to the point in my life where if the color is right, this may be enough.

And as I was using Cerave's moisturizing cream last night, it dawned on me that it always mattifies my face.  So after my chemical sunscreen has set today, I am going to put a light layer of that on and see if it can control the shine from breaking through.

@Ainhisg 

I haven't signed on for a number of days as I wasn't feeling well so I apologize for not aknowledging your post!  I just ordered the Australian Gold sunscreen myself but I have not received it yet.  I am still trying out a number of different products for facial sun protection and added powders.  I recently bought Maybelline Dream BB Skin Hydrating Balm SPF 30 in Shade 100 Light Sheer Tint.  I have only used it 2 or 3 times but it covers nicely and the shade is not really dark.  I do have to wear powder over it as it is somewhat shiny.  They do have another version of this I believe which is more matt.  The powder I used over it is Cover Girl CG Smoothers (compact) Shade 710 Translucent Light. It comes with a velvety puff and I lightly pat it on.  I use Cerave moisturizer on my body but don't like it on my face.  It seems to make my face really shiny and greasy feeling.  I am still trying out different combinations of things!  

Honored Contributor

@LadybugDG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I have been using bareMinerals original mineral veil and completely run out a few days ago. I went to Wal-Mart before work, needing something quickly, and pick up cover girl clean fresh pressed powder, talc-free. WOW, I love it Heart I did not notice any fragrance at all. It comes with a vegan foam puff but I apply with a brush.

@LadybugDG 

Does the powder feel drying?  I am mean the CG one??  I use a couple different CG ones and they are for older, dryer skins but I still have to be careful with them as they tend to settle in and accentuate fine lines.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@katie1859 wrote:

For years I have used COTY finishing loose powder in translucent.

Very light and I just use a wisp on a large brush. Affordable and goes a long way.

@katie1859 

I haven't used loose powder much in recent years as I found it kind of messy, but maybe it was just me!  LOL!  Coty loose powder has been around for eons and it must be well liked!  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 no worries!  I hope you are feeling better!

The Cerave cream did not lessen the shine of the sunscreen, so that was a no-go.

The AG sunscreen came, but I only wear makeup if I'm going somewhere where I'll see someone I know...lol...so I haven't tried it under the Pur powder foundation except for a quick try here at home on one side of my face.  The light/fair shade is similar to the original shade.  I had seen on YouTube that AG had changed their formulation to be more "liquid-y," and that is a fair assessment.  It still dries pretty matte, though.  

My plan for the next time I go somewhere is to apply the sunscreen by itself and look at it in all lighting conditions to check the color and coverage.  If I'm not happy with it by itself, then I will put the Pur powder foundation over it.  I'm reasonably sure that this will be the sunscreen I use under my powder foundation, as I cannot take that shine.  And since I double cleanse when I wear makeup, the fact that the AG is water-resistant won't be a problem.

As far as the Korean sunscreens go, I bought two to try, and I like the Beauty of Joseon more than the Isntree Watery sun gel.  The Isntree is the shiniest sunscreen I have ever tried, I think.  The BOJ is not nearly as shiny, and I much prefer the texture over American sunscreens that I have tried in the past.  I don't mind some shine here at home or when I'm power-walking, and the BOJ goes on so easily and never pills when I add more, so I am liking it a lot so far, but I do have some others saved in my iherb list to try.

The sunscreens I don't like, I am using on my hands, and if I'm not going anywhere special, I also use them on my neck and chest.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LadybugDG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I have been using bareMinerals original mineral veil and completely run out a few days ago. I went to Wal-Mart before work, needing something quickly, and pick up cover girl clean fresh pressed powder, talc-free. WOW, I love it Heart I did not notice any fragrance at all. It comes with a vegan foam puff but I apply with a brush.

@LadybugDG 

Does the powder feel drying?  I am mean the CG one??  I use a couple different CG ones and they are for older, dryer skins but I still have to be careful with them as they tend to settle in and accentuate fine lines.  Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1 

Not drying. I lightly apply, just enough to knock the shine out. I have fine lines underneath my eyes and I noticed it does not settle in. I love the finish it gives me. I will buy again. Keep in mind everyone's skin is different, hope you fine something that works for you 😊

Respected Contributor

@GYMGAL wrote:

I recommend Clinique's blended finishing powder.  My shade is transparent neutral, but there are several other shades.  After Prescriptives went out of business, and Magic Powder was no longer available, I found this to be closest to that formula.

I like that it's made in USA also.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 no worries!  I hope you are feeling better!

The Cerave cream did not lessen the shine of the sunscreen, so that was a no-go.

The AG sunscreen came, but I only wear makeup if I'm going somewhere where I'll see someone I know...lol...so I haven't tried it under the Pur powder foundation except for a quick try here at home on one side of my face.  The light/fair shade is similar to the original shade.  I had seen on YouTube that AG had changed their formulation to be more "liquid-y," and that is a fair assessment.  It still dries pretty matte, though.  

My plan for the next time I go somewhere is to apply the sunscreen by itself and look at it in all lighting conditions to check the color and coverage.  If I'm not happy with it by itself, then I will put the Pur powder foundation over it.  I'm reasonably sure that this will be the sunscreen I use under my powder foundation, as I cannot take that shine.  And since I double cleanse when I wear makeup, the fact that the AG is water-resistant won't be a problem.

As far as the Korean sunscreens go, I bought two to try, and I like the Beauty of Joseon more than the Isntree Watery sun gel.  The Isntree is the shiniest sunscreen I have ever tried, I think.  The BOJ is not nearly as shiny, and I much prefer the texture over American sunscreens that I have tried in the past.  I don't mind some shine here at home or when I'm power-walking, and the BOJ goes on so easily and never pills when I add more, so I am liking it a lot so far, but I do have some others saved in my iherb list to try.

The sunscreens I don't like, I am using on my hands, and if I'm not going anywhere special, I also use them on my neck and chest.

@Ainhisg 

Thank you - feeling better than I was!  I can't believe that so many sunscreen products that say not greasy or heavy or shiny, etc. --- are just that!  I have skin that is very sensitive and somewhat dry but not overly so.  I do need moisture but not a heavy dose or grease!  I am the same - if I am at home and no plans to go out at all, I just wear a basic moisturizer and that is it.  

Honored Contributor

@LadybugDG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LadybugDG wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

@LadybugDG 

@AngelPuppy1 

Not drying. I lightly apply, just enough to knock the shine out. I have fine lines underneath my eyes and I noticed it does not settle in. I love the finish it gives me. I will buy again. Keep in mind everyone's skin is different, hope you fine something that works for you 😊

@LadybugDG 

Thank you.  This is on my list and I will look forward the next time I go out!