Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

My cleanser is an oily one, but my face likes it.

Metrogel did not help me.

When I take antibiotics followed by prednisone for sinus problems, my face clears up completely and rebounds when the Rx's are finished -- FYI

_______

@LTT1  I just wanted to mention that I had the same experience - Metrogel did nothing for me and antibiotics always cleared my skin.  I eventually learned that the antibiotics were a big part of the problem because they were causing an imbalance in the gut bacteria by killing off the good bacteria.  I avoid antibiotics now, take a good probiotic and use Prosacea.  The sulphur in Prosacea works well for my rosacea and even works for occasional acne breakouts.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ilovesnoodles wrote:

@munchkinland I've suffered with it for years until recently. I bought some cactine beauty bars from Tova Borgnine from her site beautybytova. After a few times using it all of my redness and rough patches went away. I also use Firmalift. You can get it here. It's a serum that you use all over your face and eyes.  It helps keep your skin soft and smooth and it plumps up my skin. It helps with the redness also. It has aloe vera in it. Try to get products with aloe vera as it will help take away redness. As for a foundation I use HALO HYDRATING PERFECTING POWDER by Smashbox. QVC used to sell it but it's available at Sephora. It's a loose powder foundation. It's the only foundation I've worn for years now that doesn't aggravate my condition. You can layer a little extra on top of the red places. Hope this helps as it certainly helped me!

@Ilovesnoodles  Just went and looked up the Cactine Beauty Bar:  Interesting..

The secret of Cactine® was handed down through generations of Aztecs and Mayans living in Mexico’s most arid regions. TOVA® brought Cactine® to America and around the world, where chemists have proved the magic to be revolutionary. This product promotes healthy skin for all skin types, adds nourishment, brightens skin tone and helps correct damage caused by the environment and time. Just as the cactus cannot only live but thrives in the harsh environment of the desert, so can your skin. All of our Cactine® Skincare includes Cactine1® derived from Cactus.

• All Natural and Botanical

Cruelty free with all natural ingredients derived from the roots of four cacti plants.

• Rich in vitamins A, D, C and E

These vitamins increase the skin’s ability to balance moisture levels and nourish the skin. They aid in providing smooth skin, new cell growth and a healthy, luminous glow to the skin.

• Acts as a natural based moisture binder

Feeds the skin with moisture, just enough for your skin type. Provides superior rehydration giving skin a better texture while smoothing fine lines.

• Soothes and promotes healing of damaged skin

Cactus survives in the harshest of elements. With its ability to maintain moisture,  the Cactine® ingredient promotes the healing of damaged skin;  Calms skin suffering from sunburn or agitation. Even the most sensitive skin can benefit from its properties.

Honored Contributor
@cotton4me... For me the antibiotics just compound the problem too. I started just stuffing my face with probiotics and my latest bout of breakout is clearing up.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Occasional Contributor

Re: ROSACEA SKIN CARE? LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Thank you, thank you!  You are all so generous to have shared all this with me --and so quickly, too!  I have printed this off, and will share it with my sweetie tonight.  Again, I thank you all. 

Regular Contributor

Jojoba oil is good for my face when it's not terribly dry, which would be in the summer. Foods that really aggravate my face are foods containing dyes (especially yellow dye), ice cream, tomato, spicy foods. These are pretty common triggers, but hers could be different. Wearing sunscreen is important.

Regular Contributor

Another opinion: Have tried everything from natural to perscription. Finally have a mix of things that seems to work really well-gave up drinking alcohol-thats my trigger.

Tried all sorts of skincare-the best for me is cerave-cleanser and cream. I wont bore you with everything that didnt work! For treatment, i add essential oils to my face oil morning and night. Lavender, chamomile and helichrysum are what i use. Best control ive had since being diagnosed. I now formulate all my own skincare as well, but cerave is great in a pinch! i would just use caution with the oils-i would only use either Doterra or Young Living and dilute appropriately. Its a tough one, and im sorry she has to struggle so young. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

The one thing I want to emphasize, and its my number 1 weapon in my rosacea battle is sunscreen. Every day. I use a mineral based sunscreen, but here are good ones: Elta MD SPF 41, Fallene's COTZ SPF 48,  IT cosmetics CC+ Cream SPF 50. Chemical sunscreens can cause a burning sensation, so please consider some mineral sunscreens.  For drugstore, the Neutragena 

So as you attack this through skincare, she also needs to watch her environment and what she eats. No alcohol or caffeine. Stay calm, meditate if you need to - getting upset raises blood pressure and can cause emotional flushing. Watch for additional potential food and environmental triggers and correct/avoid them.  And sun exposure is the number one external trigger, according to my dermatologist, so sunscreen always. Always. Paula's Choice came out with a new one (and new line) specifically for rosacea, and offers small samples for sale, that might be another option to explore.

Once the rosacea starts to get under control, it will be easier to stay under control.

Also stay away from any skin care that irritates. Look up what ingredients are in a product before you use it.  Sometimes going to a simple skin care line can help.  Definitely look for products that are free of added fragrance, perfumes, dyes, preservatives and anything that could irritate. 

The women here are wonderful and I'm sure they will have lots of ideas!