Frequent Contributor

Question for anyone who uses BIOTIN or a HAIR-SKIN-NAILS formula for thinning hair.

If you use biotin or a hair-skin-nails (H-S-N) supplement for thinning hair, please share with me your experience.  What brand/product do you use?  What dosage do you take?  Have you noticed any results or improvements in your hair?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for anyone who uses BIOTIN or a HAIR-SKIN-NAILS formula for thinning hair.

I take 5,000 mcg once daily of Spring Valley's biotin, which is available at Walmart and from online vendors.

At WM, it's $4.98 for a bottle of 120 softgels.

And always has lots of great reviews.

It's been very helpful for my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, finger and toe nails, and my skin.  

Be patient though, as most supplements (even natural ones like biotin, a.k.a. vitamin B7) can take anywhere from several days to 2-3 months to work.

But I noticed results within just a few weeks with this particular one. 8)

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for anyone who uses BIOTIN or a HAIR-SKIN-NAILS formula for thinning hair.

I use Andrew Lessmans HSNs....I take 2 a day.....my hair started growing back in about three weeks.....( I lost a lot of hair due to illness,I was even wig shopping) needless to say I no longer am looking for a wig :-) HTH

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Consult Beaute (from evine from Dr. Terry Dubrow). 2 capsules a day. I had to stop taking Andrew Lessman's because it contained folic acid (I have to take folate). I'm pleased with the new product, after about a month. My nails have gotten stronger.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I've taken large doses of biotin for as long as a year, for my nails and it did absolutely nothing for amy part of me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have to say, I have tried plain Biotin, and other brands.  Hair, skin, nails by Andrew Lessman is the one that really works for me.  I have identical twin girls (they are women now, lol).  One uses AL hair, skin nails faithfully and wow, does it show.  Her hair is way thicker than her sisters, and it shines, bounces.  My opinion is Biotin really loves some bodies, they may need it more.  Others it may keep things at bay.  It helps me a little.  I notice it more when I don't use it

Trusted Contributor

Hi, I just wrote a LONG post on this but will say I have been on Biotin Nature's Bounty (can buy anywhere) in gel cap form (BEST WAY btw to take these-makes then better absorbed). My hair falls out yes but comes back--many sprouts on top lol but it does come back, a Godsend to me as it was a real downer losing hair after a lot of stress over the years then this hair loss. I think it's lack of hormones/stress I'm sure, but it's working. Also my stylist said to buy a  harder to find Biotin but not $ at all - same price as Nature's Bounty and it's a gel cap called Nature's (something) but it is a pink gel cap. She says these are best. Mine good. She was the one who got me on it years ago and she's into nutrition big time I'm thrilled. Now really thinking of getting the IGrow for me and balding hubby! I sooo miss my medium to fine head of hair doggone it.

Hoping this helps some here Smiley Happy 

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

I used Biotin for a few years and really didn't notice a difference at all. I took 5,000 units a day anf then amped it up to 10,000---still no difference. Had chemo, lost all my hair and it destroyed my nails. My skin survived ok. Nails still awful and my lashes are wimpy and hair came back thin and fine. Biotin didn't seem to do much at all.

Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

Hi, I just wrote a LONG post on this but will say I have been on Biotin Nature's Bounty (can buy anywhere) in gel cap form (BEST WAY btw to take these-makes then better absorbed). My hair falls out yes but comes back--many sprouts on top lol but it does come back, a Godsend to me as it was a real downer losing hair after a lot of stress over the years then this hair loss. I think it's lack of hormones/stress I'm sure, but it's working. Also my stylist said to buy a  harder to find Biotin but not $ at all - same price as Nature's Bounty and it's a gel cap called Nature's (something) but it is a pink gel cap. She says these are best. Mine good. She was the one who got me on it years ago and she's into nutrition big time I'm thrilled. Now really thinking of getting the IGrow for me and balding hubby! I sooo miss my medium to fine head of hair doggone it.

Hoping this helps some here Smiley Happy 

That would be NatureMade.  8)

Honored Contributor

I take the max daily dosage Biotin for my thinning hair since 2004, sadly, I have not seen improvement. my nails are very nice,but they always have been long and strong.  I take 10,000 mcg daily of Biotin.  I dont think the brand makes any real difference.