Trusted Contributor

Where can I plug in ingredients & find out toxicity levels?

[ Edited ]

Can"t find it, is it somewhere on EWG?

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Where can I plug in ingredients & find out toxicity levels?

@AnnMarie-1  I think it's often really difficult, particularly when one doesn't have the science and research background to review the actual studies that have been done. Some ingredients may be beneficial at a certain level, but create problems if the level is too high or too low and/or when combined with other ingredients. And, or course, that beneficial range can vary dramatically from individual to individual.

Any individual/group interpretating the data is going to either deliberately or unconsciously highlight things that support their viewpoiint and minimize things that they don't agree with, at least to some extent. Even before that, there may be flaws in the study or how the data was processed.

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1@juperier

On EWG.org look (on left) 

Safecosmetics Database

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/site/about.php

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I trust and use campaign for safe cosmetics, at safecosmetics.org . 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks all, looking where I can "copy" all ingredients from a product & "paste" the whole list to see what is safe & what isn't

Still can't find where that is

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Thanks all, looking where I can "copy" all ingredients from a product & "paste" the whole list to see what is safe & what isn't

Still can't find where that is

See Post #2.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

LOL

OK, it's me

Where can I post this list & see safety ratings on each ingredient at once?

Water , Dimethicone , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Trisiloxane , Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer , Dimethicone Crosspolymer , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer , Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate , Ascorbyl Glucoside , Caprylyl Glycol , Hexylresorcinol , Nylon-12 , Polyacrylamide , Xanthan Gum , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Tocopheryl Acetate , Maltodextrin , Disodium EDTA , Sodium Hydroxide , Laureth-7 , Butylene Glycol , Peucedanum Graveolens Extract , Rubus Fruticosus Leaf Extract , Mica , Titanium Dioxide

Trusted Contributor

This is what I get if I try to paste all those ingredients in the search bar

"There are no items in the database that match your request"

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1

I am pretty sure you cannot put all ingredients in search engine and get one answer.  You have to put them in one at a time.  If you know something about the ingredients, I would start with the unfamiliar ones.  Or, start with the ingredients at the top of the deck, potent to less potent.  I might want to cut and paste the answers to a file you make for future reference.  Usually in most products, especially skin care, several ingredients are staples.

I wish there was a computer that would do that, but you would need a very specific search engine, that can recognize and sort ingredients.  When they are in an ingredient deck, I bet the computer doesn't see a beginning and an end, just one long run on ingredient.  I am NOT a computer whiz, so don't take what I state as gospel.  I am just "theorizing"

It would be fantastic to be able to see what ingredients are toxic, or even slightly toxic.  If they could rate them from 1-5, like some sites do.  Then we could know which ingredients to do further research on.  Alas, the cosmetic industry has a hand in this, and am sure they are grateful we have to study our butt's off to figure out what the heck we are slapping on our bodies!

Trusted Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 @shoekitty  I agree. You'll need to look up the ingredients (or whichever ones concern you) individually, preferably after considering info from varying sources.

Even tho I think we're at a point where we have too many ingredients in things that are far from good for us, i still think that EWG, as well as other groups, lean towards fearmongering. (And, of course, the manufacturers are going to emphasize the positives...)