Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about red lipstick

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

You could wear red lipstick with a red top if you want, but I never do.  I just don't like myself in red lipstick.  It looks too vivid on me. 

Hi @PinkyPetunia .. I don't like myself in red lipstick either.  But sometimes I just think it looks odd wearing a red top ... and not red lipstick.  Maybe I'm just crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

I would only wear red (same color family) or a brownish red or nude.  I have a friend that wears the same pink lipstick every day and when she wears a red top it looks terrible IMO.

Hi @mima .... that's my thinking also.... but I don't like myself in red lipstick.  

Esteemed Contributor

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question.  It is much appreciated.  I now have a lot to think about.... and many red lipsticks to check out.  

Trusted Contributor

I have never been able to find a red lip that looks good on me.  I'm blonde hair, green eyes and no matter what I feel like a clown with red lips.  The berry colors look OK, but when going out I lean more towards the darker eye and light lips (not invisible) but neutral. At work, I hardly wear make-up at all.  A little gloss, liner, brow and I'm done.  Do wish I could pull off a red lipstock though.

Respected Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

I have never been able to find a red lip that looks good on me.  I'm blonde hair, green eyes and no matter what I feel like a clown with red lips.  The berry colors look OK, but when going out I lean more towards the darker eye and light lips (not invisible) but neutral. At work, I hardly wear make-up at all.  A little gloss, liner, brow and I'm done.  Do wish I could pull off a red lipstock though.

You might try a red with a some brown in it.  Even though my skin is pink and I should be wearing "cool" instead of "warm" colors, I look best in a reddish brown lipstick.  It doesn't make sense to me but it works.  I "had" blond hair (now colored brown with blond highlights) naturally when I was younger and I also have green eyes.  Give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I gave up on red apparel years ago, it just makes me uncomfortable, like trying to sleep in a red bedroom or eat in a red dining room.  But when I wear red lipstick, its Lipstick Queen's Medieval, very sheer, or something similar. 

Honored Contributor

As I've aged, my lips have gotten thinner & we ALL know the little lines that appear around our mouth that cause lipsticks to bleed. Thin lips w/ any dark lipstick look like 2 slices of liver on my face!!! I'll stick w/ a nice pinkish nude!!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

As I've aged, my lips have gotten thinner & we ALL know the little lines that appear around our mouth that cause lipsticks to bleed. Thin lips w/ any dark lipstick look like 2 slices of liver on my face!!! I'll stick w/ a nice pinkish nude!!

-----------------------

I've been wanting to get one of the red Besame lipsticks at the Sephora sale, but  I think your description has saved me 💋.