Esteemed Contributor

This may be a silly question... but when you wear a red top (shirt, blouse, sweater, etc) should you wear red lipstick???  

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about red lipstick

[ Edited ]

you can as long as it's in the same color family and it doesn't clash with what you are wearing.

Respected Contributor

You could wear red lipstick with a red top if you want, but I never do.  I just don't like myself in red lipstick.  It looks too vivid on me. 

Respected Contributor

I would only wear red (same color family) or a brownish red or nude.  I have a friend that wears the same pink lipstick every day and when she wears a red top it looks terrible IMO.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

you can as long as it's in the same color family and it doesn't clash with what you are wearing.

I agree, but it certainly can be a big rigmarole trying to find the right one.  It's been a mission of my for months, looking for the right red to go with a Christmas top, not to mention the wasted $$ on shades that didn't work.

Honored Contributor

One other thing to mention...

If you're going to to a vibrant lip color, go with a simple, more pale, eye shadow.

Frequent Contributor

The best RED lipstick I've ever found is DIOR 999. It's a true red, no blue or orange to it at all. Sometimes I smudge it a bit and put a sheer lip gloss over it. It's matte not shiny at all. Pricey though.

Trusted Contributor

@Shopper Mania wrote:

The best RED lipstick I've ever found is DIOR 999. It's a true red, no blue or orange to it at all. Sometimes I smudge it a bit and put a sheer lip gloss over it. It's matte not shiny at all. Pricey though.

I am going to check this out!!  I have forever been searching for a true "lipstick red" color.    No orange , no blue .  Thanks for posting !!

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

You don't need to spend a fortune for a good red lipstic.  Check out Revlon's Super Lustrous Really Red, Red Lacquer and Fire and Ice.  I love the Really Red shade.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

You don't need to spend a fortune for a good red lipstic.  Check out Revlon's Super Lustrous Really Red, Red Lacquer and Fire and Ice.  I love the Really Red shade.

Don't forget Revlon's iconic Love That Red (a bright tomato red)

For something of a more pink red-- Cherries in the Snow