Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about combing out your hair...

I wrap my hair in a Turbie Towel for a few minutes, then comb out while still wet with a wide tooth comb.  I also was turne onto the Wet Brush and I love it.  It really is the best detangling brush ever.  It's not expensive and available at Walgreens, Sallys, Target and online retailers.  The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush (you may have seen it advertised on TV) is good too, but I prefer that one for brushing pre blow drying as it stretches out the wet curls more which is a better prep for blowing out the curls.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine what my hair would like like if I didn't comb it while wet and just let id dry.  My hair is short, a little below chin length and is thin and fine. After I shower, I use the towel on my hair first to get the wetness out.  Then I dry my body off.

The next thing I do is spray a leave-in conditioner in my hair and comb it all straight back off my face.  I then apply skincare, move on to make-up then go back and apply mousse, oil on the ends and blow dry.  

Honored Contributor

Alot of women with curly and wavy hair do not comb their hair wet, they will add product scruch it and let it dry that way 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Hello, gulf coast girl. Smiley Happy

Everyone's hair is different. What I do is I towel dry my hair before I brush it. That way, it's not too dry, but not too wet. Then gently brush the hair starting from the ends and working your way up. I lose less hair that way.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Once my hair is dry, using a comb or brush on it will pull out all my waves and curls or cause lots of frizz. I only comb my hair dry before I get into the shower or before I applly an oil treatment.

Honored Contributor

I blot my hair dry with an old t-shirt. I comb while wet starting at the ends.  I don't have a problem with a comb running right through my hair. I comb 2-3 times while my hair is drying so it don't notice the combed wet hair look.

Honored Contributor

My hair is past my waist and other than finding my part, I don't comb my hair when I get out of the shower. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thorughly brush or comb my hair before washing it, since it's super-prone to tangles.

I apply a detangler when it's wet and then wide-comb it out, as it's baby-fine and wavy.

This way, it will dry much less tangly and my natural waves (2a-b) won't pulled out.

I even wide-comb it out in the shower after the conditioner has 'set', so that any detangling will be less ouchy and easier to do.

BTW, I wouldn't take any advice from just one person who doesn't have any recommended knowledge from hair professionals.

It's interesting though, that her way works well for her unique hair type.

Super Contributor

This may shock some of you (lol), but I don't even own a brush or comb. My hair is very wavy and incredibly thick and coarse. Many people with similar hair as mine wouldn't even think of using a comb or brush on their hair, regardless of whether it was wet or dry. I finger comb my hair in the shower, working out any knots as I'm rinsing my WEN out.

Honored Contributor

i towel dry my hair and then use a michel mercier detangling brush (they make them for fine, normal, and thick) to get the knots out and make it smooth. i let it air dry for a bit and then add my products. i then finish the drying with a blow dryer.

Michel Mercier Original Detangling Brush

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein