Respected Contributor

Re: Question RE: Aveda Salon

@Katcat1 wrote:

@aubnwa01  I own the shampoo she used on you.  Aveda Blue Malva.  It takes yellow casts out of gray and blonde hair.  It only comes in a large bottle but will last a very long time.  I love it.  I don't use everyday but 2 times a week.

Thanks, @Katcat1  I wonder why it's only available in that large size?  It looks like the Blue Malva conditioner comes in a normal sizes tube, do you use that, too or just the shampoo?  I like what the shampoo did for my color, so will probably buy a bottle of it.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01  No, I do not use the conditioner.  If you like conditioner you can use any brand.  Nick Chavez was on the other day and said you should not place conditioner on your scalp as it clogs pores and causes bumps on scalp.  He said when using conditioner take it 3 in. away from the scalp.  Interesting.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

the hairstylists at an Aveda salon are like the hairstylists at other salons.  I think it depends on the owner of the salon and what they require of their stylists and how much the stylists want to keep up their training.  Being an Aveda Salon just means that salon will only carry Aveda hair products and use Aveda color. 

The Aveda salon I was going to up until about 2 months ago had highly trained hairstylists. The owner often had Aveda professionals come in to train the stylists so they were up on the latest styles, cuts and colors. 

We also have a more upscale salon in our area that uses all Bumble & Bumble products. This is another salon that is known to be more cutting edge.  The owner has B&B professionals come to the salon for training that the stylists are required to attend and the stylists also travel to a B&B salon in NYC for training. 

OTOH I have a relative who is a hairstylist and she goes to the beauty show once a year in Chicago and that's it.  She worked at an Aveda Salon but the owner just didn't push for training.   

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I used to go years ago, but haven't been in a long time.  They were very professional and I have to say that they probably had the best trained stylists of any where I had ever been.  The salon I went to was very upscale but there was also a much higher price to go with the service and expertise.  Back then I was not bothered by scents and had no issues with products.  Now, I would not be able to tolerate the scents and fragrances in the products that they use probably.  I will say that my hair probably looked the best it has ever looked when I went there.  I had the same sylist for quite a long time and she took so much time cutting and styling my hair and giving me advice.  I would say --- give it a try.  As I said, I haven't been to one of the Aveda salons in years so can't speak to their level of service these days.  I believe that the founder. Horst (sp?) who I had the pleasure of meeting once, died quite a few years ago, so I do not know who is running the company now.  Good luck!!!  

what level stylists did you ask for? And how about the products are they good?

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I have a question about Aveda Salons.  I'm trying to find a new haircutter, as I haven't been pleased with the job the last one has been doing for the past year or so. 

There's an Aveda Salon fairly near to me here in Tucson & I thought I might give them a try & see if they can do a better haircutting job than the last one.  I don't color my hair anymore, so it's my natural ashy-blonde gray color. 

It has a fair bit of wave to it, since I had quite curly hair when I was younger, but it seems to have straightened out since menopause & I need to find someone who's a skilled cutter to make it look right.  That's been the problem with the previous stylist, she's not been cutting it to the natural wave in my hair & just said "Well, you can style it with product & make it do what you want".  If my hair was straight, she could cut it any old way, but with the wave that I have, it doesn't work.

I don't use a lot of product & basically want wash'n'wear hair, though I do blowdry it a bit to get the water out of it after I wash it.

Are Aveda Salons mostly about the Aveda products or do they have a hair cutting learning program for stylists as well to learn how to cut hair?  I've found over time that I've had the best luck with stylists who've been cutting hair for a long time & know how to cut hair & I've had a hard time finding an experienced haircutter around here.

When I lived in WA, years ago I used a salon for a long time that would wash my hair & then had 2 heat lamps on either side of the chair that would dry my wet hair & the stylist would cut it as it dried, so it was cut to my wave pattern.  It was an interesting concept, but a bit of a PITA, but the results were quite good. 

Just curious how Aveda operates.  TIA

I alwwya wondered about how it ran also. Thaks for your question.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@aubnwa01    I am currently with an Aveda salon.  The more you pay for a cut, the more experience the styist has; however, some stylists are born to cut hair  When my stylist is finished shampooing my hair and adds conditioner she start massaging my scalp (it is wonderful).  Then she adds a very warm moist towel on the head for a couple of minutes and finally rinses my hair.  Stylists do receive additional training at the salon.  As far as products, that is up to you if you want to purchase.  Products are never pushed at me.  

What level stylist do  you ask for?

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure Aveda Salons rank their stylists differently than any others. When I used to go to one here, some of the newbies were better cutters than ones who had been there for 10 yrs. If you finish Aveda training or any “hair training”, you can be great or not, continue classes in color, highlights, etc. or not. So, it’s a cwap shoot. 

Contributor

I go to an Aveda Salon and my understanding is that they are big on training.  My stylist is also the owner and they do a lot with color also.  They use Aveda products when styling or coloring so you get to try some of the products that way.

Contributor

I wonder if the smell could be the Aveda tea they serve, it has a very unusual smell.