Frequent Contributor

Re: QVC -Tears us down in the guise of building us up?

@persiflage That is a very interesting question.  I believe we were just wondering about what motivates someone to try to justify a negative "behavior" - an "unkind comment".  

But, your comments do make me think of the common situation that arises when a bully is called out for his/her bullying behavior and in turn, says he/she is being bullied by the people who are calling out the bully's behavior.

I honestly did not think that questioning the motivation of someone justifying what I consider to be "negative" behavior to be tearing them down but I guess in reality not everything we say will be uplifting.  I guess you can take that a step further and say I was tearing down Shawn and Dr. Denese by calling them out. If that's the case, I am actually fine with that.

I was hoping (and assuming!) that we would all agree that calling someone's face "reptiley" was a bad thing.  Some people said it was just a sales tactic and dismissed it.  If my questioning why they would dismiss it as OK is "tearing them down" then so be it. Someone saying that I was putting someone down by calling out someone for saying  a woman's face is "reptiley", I just don't know about that.

I don't think that's where you were going with your question and I actually appreciate the thoughtfulness of your question and that it make me think and evaluate my "stance". I don't really think this is a slippery slope, at least it didn't use to be.  In my world, mean is mean and mean is bad.  And those that say calling a woman's face "reptiley" is OK and not mean, I just have no words.

A thought provoking comment @persiflage, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JohnnyWasnt   and others...My rant is that so few of these products work. I do my research, listen to professionals and just ignore the lies and move on with my skincare products that I know work for me. 

Q is a "business" and has stooped to any sale's tactics to make money. 

Last night's beauty show w/ 2 jars of lip stuff for $42? Aquafor, Vaseline or Burt's Bees, Ladies!!! 

Every beauty company and retailer does it. We don't have to like it but we aren't going to change it. We're all adults and should already know better than to buy into what retailers/hosts say. 

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt 

I am so sorry for your loss.  What a beautiful baby.  It's terrible to lose your pet child.  Condolences.... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Johnnywasnt... can't even give your opinion on something without getting bashed on here.  I agree with you!  

No thought is worth thinking.....
Respected Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt  I agree with everything that you said ( I posted on the first page of your topic) and I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved little Yetta- she was an adorable little dog based on the photo and I enjoyed the story that you told us about how playful she was. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  I've had issues with my self esteem off and on and it really is a journey.  Rest assured that you're beautiful, I'm beautiful! You create so many thoughtful and entertaining posts and its a joy to interract with you on the forum.  I think you're fantastic! I also avoid QVC presentations that would make me hyper fixate on any percieved flaws that the presenters try to convince viewers that they have.  I've got to be me and you've got to be you and its important for us to really be kind to and lift up ourselves and realize how lovely and pretty we really are! Aging is a privelege and women are beautiful at any age! Smiley HappyHeart  

Esteemed Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt   I agree with your post.  In kind of a similar rant,   I heard Kim Gravel ask someone what size pants she was wearing.  Woman answered 12, Kim says oh you look great, like an 8 in those pants. Of course they were her brand.  I guess a 12 is not quite good enough.  For some reason it hit me that way. All the empowering women speil comes down to what size pants they wear.  That's the impression I got. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much @SportyShorty07!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JohnnyWasnt  You're very welcome, and I truly believe that pets and loved ones that have passed are among us in spirit and I think your little dog lived a long and very great life surrounded by love.  Please feel free to share stories or more photos of Yetta- whatever helps you through this, we're all here for you. Heart

Respected Contributor

I always feel Shawn is lecturing me when she presents beauty products. She speaks with such authority like she is an expert on everything she is trying to sell us. Then she makes up words and sounds like a fool. heard a Dermatologist say the only thing you need at night is a clean face followed by Retinol and a moisturizer if you need one. He suggested exfoliation once a week. SPF everyday. No need for a cabinet full of products. I believe him.