Frequent Contributor

OK Ladies, I am in search of a primer that reduces redness while filling in lines and pores. 

I currently have Bare Minerals neuralizing Prime Time and while it is fantasitc and evens out my skin color, but it does NOTHING for filling in pores and lines. So then I have to put on Pixi Flawless primer to fill in the lines and pores.

What products out there do both???

Respected Contributor

Smashbox Color Correcting Primer!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Primer Help

[ Edited ]

You may be asking too much of your primer to fill lines, reduce pores and conceal redness.  There may be some which makes the promise to do those things, but those are exaggerated marketing promises. A primer is intended to be a base for foundation, so it does help with creating a barrier for foundation not to creep into lines and pores. Redness requires color correction or balancing.  I think you may be more satisfied with a CC or BB cream for the type of all purpose performance you are looking to get.  

That said, if you really insist on a primer I suggest Laura Geller's green tinted Spackle.  It's called Smoothing.  Back in the day preceding primers on the market for us, makeup artists used (what we then called color correctors) in green tints to counteract redness in the skintone.

Honored Contributor

It's going to be tough to find one that does all those things well. I have one that's great at correcting redness, not as great at filling in pores. Another is great at filling in pores and keeping me matte, but doesn't color correct. I really like the Bare Minerals primer, but the neutralizer is the wrong color to neutralize redness.

Here are two that I think are good:

The green redness correcting primer by MAKE UP FOR EVER. It's called Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer and comes in many formulas to correct redness, sallowness, add brightness, etc. My skin is good, but I get redness. Some days I'll put this on and no makeup and go. Other days I use it under a tinted moisturizer. It's better at color correcting than filling in pores.

You may prefer the Smashbox primer. It has silicone, like the Bare Minerals primer. Some people don't like silicone, but I feel like it does a better job of filling in pores and smoothing. I tend to prefer primers with silicone. Smashbox Photo Finish comes in two color correcting colors and you will want the green one for redness. I think it's better at filling in pores than color correcting.

Contributor

You sound like me up until about 3 months ago when I was introduced by sample to a product from Makeup Forever called Step 1 Skin Equalizing Primer.  There are several different types but the one specifically for large pores and fine lines (it says that exact wording in the description) is absolutely amazing.  When you put it on you realize it's so good you almost wouldn't need foundation, but used with any foundation it seriously brings it up to that next level.  There are lots of good ones out there but I had your exact issues and this has been a life saver for me.  There is a travel sized (still generous) that you can try for $16.  Good luck!