Honored Contributor

Re: PETER THOMAS ROTH TSV- buyer beware!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I only purchase skincare from a reputable skincare company or physician or medical based company like Skinsceuticals. 

PTR has said he started out as a jeweler w/ his family. How does that put him, in any way, in the same category as Dr. Gross products, Dr. Perricone or Dr. Denese? 

i personally use and love PTR products and perricone products. they both work well for me. most beauty and skincare purchases are a matter of personal choice. what works for some may not work for others. i would not doubt that PTR has a very good, reputable TEAM that does research and creates products that SOME of us have had success with.

i actually own a number of his jewelry pieces and they are unique and beautiful.....some purchased from qvc, some from his website.

Peter Thomas Roth’s passion for skin care is derived from his quest to find effective products to treat his own personal skin care concerns. Initially his primary issue was acne and as time went on anti-aging issues as well. His interests eventually grew into a desire to find the best tools to combat acne, the many signs of aging, as well as protecting the skin from sun damage. His mission: to combine effective and potent ingredients with advanced technology.

As the first generation child of Hungarian parents, skin care is an inherent part of Peter's heritage. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Peter's family owned and operated two spa resorts in Hungary. When Peter launched his company in 1993, he started with the basic soothing and healing philosophies of the many muds and minerals found in Hungarian thermal springs. While still giving credit to old-school remedies, Peter now uses the latest innovative and effective ingredients to improve on the formulas blending old Hungarian philosophies with 21st century skin care technologies to create effective skin care that does what it promises to do!

I trust his line too.  He's been in skincare for many years and has devloted a lot of his life to helping develop good skin care.  I have found great results with his line and I use a lot of it.  Yes, I've tried Paula's choice, and her line is good, but I peeled TERRIBLY with her retinol.  I haven't peeled with his, and I think it's just as effective.

I like his jewelry too. His earrings I bought are gorgeous.  

I use a bit of Cereva and a lot of PTR's skin care.  I started using them years ago after a beauty bash.  We got several free products, and I've been fairly loyal ever since.  His pads are great too!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

Whenever they say "made especially for QVC I know it's been cheapened and don't buy it. Period. 

Agreed, @Valstybaby. Many years ago when we bought our Sleep Number bed direct from Sleep Number, the customer service reps on the phone told me exactly that. The versions of their "made especially for QVC" beds are NOT the same as what Sleep Number sells direct to consumers. I heard an earful from them, so it was a no brainer. We were happy to pay a little more to buy direct from the company. So glad we did. I stopped buying anything from Q years ago and this was one of the main reasons why. 

I thought about this more a few days ago.  I don't think he'd make his retinol different from the Sephora one.  I opened up a small trial bottle of his I bought awhile back from his website.  I used it last night.  It is the same as my QVC bottle when I compared.  Just make sure to shake.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately this is how a couple of shopping channels offer such good deals on name brand products that are sold elsewhere.  The products are dumbed down.

A few years back, there was a line of skincare sold on HSN that was also sold in boutiques.  I cannot remember the name of the product line but a woman named Vinny created it and brought it to HSN.  She was a cancer survivor and it was supposed to be soothing and calming to the skin, etc.  She was very active on the HSN boards.  Anyhow, someone did some research and posted that the products sold on HSN were not the same as the products sold at the much higher price in boutiques. The ingredient deck was posted and the main "star" ingredient was way down the ingredient deck in the HSN products and at the top in the boutique line.  The line didn't last long after that on HSN.  After that was revealed, the creator got ugly on the boards.  LOL

I have also had the experience of HSN offering shoes for a lot cheaper and the host bragging about how much better their price was for the same shoe.  In looking on websites to verify, I found out the shoes sold in retail were leather and the HSN version was man-made.  Smiley Sad

I believe there are a lot of dumbed down products sold on the networks.  Kitchen-Aid mixers that have a lower quality motor, electronics being sold that are last years models, computers with crummy processors, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I think I remember that line-didn't it have HOPE in the name? It was very nice.

Contributor

Just checked the ingredient deck on Sephoras site, its the same as the TSV, so  am confused. My delux bottle from last year, has the same ingredient deck as the current bottle and the Sephoras. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  I think I remember that line-didn't it have HOPE in the name? It was very nice.

I think it did.  What a debacle that turned out to be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I checked the ingredient decks and they are the SAME at QVC and Sephora.  However, I also checked the ingredient deck from when I bought one of his kits a few years back and it the less watered down version.  So, I guess the question is when did he start watering down the product, why, and does it work as well?  It could be that it was watered down to reduce irritation, but the tradeoff could be efficacy.  It didn't irritate me when I used it before.  I don't currently have a retinol product in my regime, so it's a bit tempting.

Valued Contributor

Please put this on QVC's FaceBook page for the world to see. Like everyone else, I'm beyond annoyed.

Respected Contributor

I am wondering why the order of the ingredients would be rearranged?  And who would have that level of authority?

Sorry, this doesn't pass my smell test.

Super Contributor

items made exclusively for QVC are different quality. My Dooney tsV purses were stitched crooked and odd shaped. Clarks were not the same quality. I don't buy anything now made just for QVC.  Definitely buyer beware.