Honored Contributor

Re: Ot anyone here on a condo/townhouse board?

On 7/28/2014 bullyluv said: Valuskr it is a very complex ruling that prohibits workshops, and replying to all members in email. Plus other stupid things I haven't looked into it much because it is so confusing, we are meeting with our property manager to go over it. So no workshops, we can only have open meetings, and here is a issue on the interpretation on what a meeting is...and do we talk about financials, and keep minutes etc. Also no emailing all board members in one email, it must be broken up in to two emails. Or just leave one memember off the email. It makes it hard to keep up with everything, so many times I have no idea what the heck is going on it is beyound stupid. We never vote in email, so I don't get what the issue with that is! My husband used to the pres and he looked at this mess and said 'oh my gosh is this stupid!'

Thanks for the info; I wondered if it had to do with palm trees. At any rate, I haven't heard of such a thing here in PA.

Honored Contributor

In Florida there is also a new law that states anyone who is a member of the HOA has a right to speak at any meeting and sometimes that is rather a two edged sword. for one thing it is great that the board HAS TO listen to everyone on the other hand some of the issues are so inane and some of the speakers will not state their issue and sit down, but go on & on. The point of the law is to prevent the boards from ignoring the wishes and needs of the residents, or passing any rulings without an open meeting. In Fl. if they pass something and the residents disagree the residents can get 40% of the members signatures on a petition and that forces the HOA to readdress the issue at the yearly meeting. Our board was forced last year by the residents to pass a rule that any issue presented by a member who has gotten a petition signed HAS TO be voted on by the members and not just the board.

My personal opinion of the entire HOA thing is to ignore it and stay home. I intend to only go to the once a year mandatory meeting from now on. All those meetings do is make me mad, so best to ignore them. As my friend who has lived in Fl for many years said - I deal with the HOA by just staying in the house - they can do whatever they want outside.

Frequent Contributor

Ha! No nothing with Palm tress..if only. Happy house wife...our pres allows residents questions before our meetings. It can work out but sometimes residents have questions as the meeting progresses and they can get cut short then. During our last meeting we had to vote about our trees as we have dead trees that need to be removed. I had one resident come up behind me and gawk over my shoulder at my papers, then as to see them! I was very taken aback, I also had a resident reach over his wife to grab my arm during a discussion and ask me a question! Next meeting I will be more prepared.
Frequent Contributor

On 7/28/2014 ennui1 said:

You get that on every HOA.

Is it the board that argues, or some of the residents?

Both!
Honored Contributor

Our Co-op board is made up of 7 very loud people who are always arguing and causing issues for the development

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Usedtobeoxox I am happy to hear that, not to be negative. Atleast I know it's not just us. we have just one loud person on the board right now, the rest of us are pretty soft spoken.
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 bullyluv said: Usedtobeoxox I am happy to hear that, not to be negative. Atleast I know it's not just us. we have just one loud person on the board right now, the rest of us are pretty soft spoken.

There is a major issue going on with the dismissal of a head of the maintanence crew, there are claims of he did this and that but no one is is saying what he actually did

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Served on my n'hood HOA for ten years. Sadly, the current pres is an egotistical, control freak, jacka**. His way or the highway. I hit the road. Still manage our very large swim team as it is outside of the HOA scope which drives him batty. Residents not being involved or questioning allows bad, unethical behavior to pervade in a Board. This pres and Board lie often or twist facts and financials. That is exactly the current state in our n'hood. Irks me to see years of hard work and good practices go down the drain with one jerk at the helm. Guess every HOA has issues at some point.
Respected Contributor

My inlaws have both done this. Their biggest beef is that no one cares enough to participate or come to meetings. Residents just vote by mail & don't serve on committees, except for a few.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

My inlaws have both done this. Their biggest beef is that no one cares enough to participate or come to meetings. Residents just vote by mail & don't serve on committees, except for a few.

Exactly