Frequent Contributor

Ot anyone here on a condo/townhouse board?

Just wondering if it is just ours...but do you have certain people who always fight argue and pick on everything and make meetings miserable?
Respected Contributor

Re: Ot anyone here on a condo/townhouse board?

I know what you mean. Some people run for a position on the Board solely because they have an issue and end up making everyone else miserable.

Super Contributor

You get that on every HOA.

Is it the board that argues, or some of the residents?

Frequent Contributor

Thant is what I figured, our meetings have been so stressful lately, I am appalled at how some people act! Also anyone have to deal with this new palm ruling? Or is it just in Illinois?
Trusted Contributor

I was on our board for many years, several as its President. I believe there are unit owners today who think of me as one of those argumentative types, but I have lived there for 25 years (I am an original owner) , I know the rules, and I know what it takes to maintain such a property. Right now, the current board is allowing a landscaping installation which is contrary to all past approvals. I complained - loudly. The board countered with this: if you don't like it, sue us. That is what I am dealing with now. And they wonder why I am upset?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, some people are never happy. It ruins it for everyone else.

Frequent Contributor

Sasha Mathews...my hat off to you for being pres. It is a tough and thankless job. I don't know how our pres does it with all the nonsense between current board members and new residents who don't understand community living! We have two board members who like to start trouble.
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 bullyluv said: Thant is what I figured, our meetings have been so stressful lately, I am appalled at how some people act! Also anyone have to deal with this new palm ruling? Or is it just in Illinois?

What is the new palm ruling?

Super Contributor

Not currently but someone in my family used to be. He served for a year.

ITA with the comment about new residents who DO NOT understand how to live in a community and respect their neighbors. We have neighbors near us who are clueless with the noise they make! SO rude.

Frequent Contributor

Valuskr it is a very complex ruling that prohibits workshops, and replying to all members in email. Plus other stupid things I haven't looked into it much because it is so confusing, we are meeting with our property manager to go over it. So no workshops, we can only have open meetings, and here is a issue on the interpretation on what a meeting is...and do we talk about financials, and keep minutes etc. Also no emailing all board members in one email, it must be broken up in to two emails. Or just leave one memember off the email. It makes it hard to keep up with everything, so many times I have no idea what the heck is going on it is beyound stupid. We never vote in email, so I don't get what the issue with that is! My husband used to the pres and he looked at this mess and said 'oh my gosh is this stupid!'