Honored Contributor

My rule of thimb is if it smells fine, consistancy is normal and color is normal, I use it!!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

The dates on almost everything we buy are often SELL BY or BEST BY more than they are actual use expiration dates.  I use my own common sense plus a bit of science knowledge or investigation to make my choices.

I rarely toss anything except what goes near my eyes just because of the date on the package.

@millieshops   "Sell By" more refers to if the item is not opened. "Best By" usually means it should be used within a reasonable amount of time after being opened. 

Honored Contributor

If you think you are going to use them, use them.  If you aren't going to use them, just toss them.

Just because a lipstick goes on fine doesn't mean it is fine.  Rancid lipsticks get a bad smell and taste to them.  You will know if they are bad.  Foundations will separate and you will know when they are bad too.  

I fairly regularly go through my make-up and toss things that are told or that I never really loved and won't use.  If they are good enough I will give them to my sister.  Otherwise I toss them.   

Esteemed Contributor

I decided to toss and get new when this over.  Fun to get some new colors.

Then, since I was a roll and had nothing but time, I moved on to the kitchen.  Yikes!

Then off to the garage.  Who knew that old paint could dry out so fast 🤣

Trusted Contributor

I once had a blush that was 20 years old that I was using. (It takes  a long time for me to go through blush!).  I have some lipsticks that are 10 years old and I still use and still look great on me.  I also have 5 mascaras that I use on a regular basis so I do use them longer than 3 months but I would not go past 6 months on mascara.   Unless the cosmetic smells bad or looks gross I would keep it and use it.

Honored Contributor

Re: “Old” Cosmetics

[ Edited ]

I just threw out my mascara because I realized it was older than 6 months. 

I don't wear it every day now, thus it lasted this long.  

Hated doing it, but I'd written the date on it in silver marker (Jan 11th....gulp) and went to apply it today.

Held off opening a new one because it's so darn expensive!  

Mascara is something I can get away with ---going without.