Respected Contributor

I fried my hair with Sun-In, a spray-on lightener that used the sun to work, and my mother was furious with me. I tried to right it by going to the hairdresser and getting a Wella heat cap treatment, but it didn't do much good. Just had to grow out.

I still miss Yardley's Pot o' Gloss and their Slickers. Bonnie Bell also had a transparent lip protector in a lipstick form that I used until they discontinued it. Christian Dior had a delightful clear tinted gloss in a pot that tasted delicious. Expensive, but worth it.

I also remember, but do not miss, Maybelline's mascara that came in a little red box with a little red brush with black bristles. You moistened the cake of mascara and used the tiny toothbrush to apply it, and prayed you didn't sweat and it didn't rain, because it sure wasn't waterproof. I remember when Great Lash came out, and people went bananas for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old Beauty Brands

[ Edited ]

Yes! @noodleann -- Maybelline mascara in the matchbox with tiny brush is the first mascara I ever used.  What a mess it was!   We'd spit on the brush to wet it -- had to re-apply several times a day. 

I remember taking the bus downtown with my girlfriends and spending Saturday afternoons at the Woolworth's makeup bins.  Oh my!  We wore almost-white Cutex lipsticks because Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton did.  Cutex lipsticks, Maybelline boxed mascara, and small bottles of Maybelline foundation were a quarter each.  For another quarter, we could buy a zippered makeup bag to carry our haul.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

In high school I purchased my perfumes in the drugstore. I loved “Charlie” and there was a “Vanilla Musk”.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Yes! @noodleann -- Maybelline mascara in the matchbox with tiny brush is the first mascara I ever used.  What a mess it was!   We'd spit on the brush to wet it -- had to re-apply several times a day. 

I remember taking the bus downtown with my girlfriends and spending Saturday afternoons at the Woolworth's makeup bins.  Oh my!  We wore almost-white Cutex lipsticks because Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton did.  Cutex lipsticks, Maybelline boxed mascara, and small bottles of Maybelline foundation were a quarter each.  For another quarter, we could buy a zippered makeup bag to carry our haul.  

@tototwo  Oh wow.... that little red box of Mabelline mascara brings back memories...spitting in it, too. Yuck! My Mom still licked her eyebrow pencil no matter how many times I explained the “germ theory”. 

Occasional Contributor

Respected Contributor

as a teen  i used "Lemon Go Lightly"  similar to Sun-in and my hair started to get little breaks in it.  I think I doused my hair in  it at the beach one summer.  my hair ended up brassy looking plus i had braided my hair thinking i would get a cool beach blonde look...turned out patchy as well as broken! 

Contributor

158104673_1987-belinda-carlisle-agree-hair-shampoo-paper-1-pg-ad.jpg

I remember this shampoo smelled really good

Trusted Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@maestra wrote:

I had very very long hair in high school; I remember a friend who asked if he could smell my hair. I used Herbalessence and or Faberge Wheat Germ shampoo and conditioner.

@maestra   at least someone had taught him some manners. Did you let him? Rhetorical.

#MeToo  --- LOL ,  p-leeze !

Honored Contributor

@noodleann

@Shanus

@tototwo

Maybelline

I loved watching my mother apply her makeup -- except for the part when she'd moisten that little brush...

I've used the retro red duo as eyeliner for decades.

Maybelline

What made me cringe were my classmates who would put the tip through a flame before applying it.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor

Loved Ultima II and back in the day Estee Lauder had a lipstick color called IIRC "burnt congac" that was made for me.  Seriously, random people used to comment on how great it looked ROFL.  I was so hurt when it was discontinued Woman Sad

I also loved perfume and one of my first "grown up" Eau du Cologne purchases was Yves St. Laurent's Rive Gauche.  It was new (to Cleveland, Oh anyway) in the early 70s.  My mom liked it too, more than I realized at the time.  A few years ago she asked me to send her a bottle, to my surprise.  

I used Prell shampoo in the tube and IIRC Tame?? detangler conditioner.  Before I did my own hair, my mom used TONS of Dixie Peach or Royal Crown, or Queen Bergamot in my hair.  I "graduated" to Ultra Sheen (the blue first, then the green one) later.  I also remember trying Dippty-doo in my hair--this was a flaky mess and was never going to work on heat-pressed African American hair.  Funny thing, I do use a gel when I want to flexi-rod my hair now (not often).  Modern gels don't flake (as long as you don't get stupid) and I'm transitioning to natural from relaxed hair and both textures work with gels.  

Yeah, I remember the Ponds and lots of Max Factor (my mom).  There was one foundatoin that she put on with a round wet red sponge.  I tried, but didn't like the kabuki-mask look it gave me.  I was thrilled when I discovered Fashion Fair cosmetics  but unfortunately didn't really the product back then and, as I implied earlier, Ultima II changed my life, LOL!  BTW, now Revlon comestics are a drugstore brand.  I bet Charles Revson is rolling over in his grave.

An aside: there is currently a product on QVC that temporarily gets rid of wrinkles (can't think of the name for the life of me) but the product ambassador always says, "a little dab will do ya" and every time she does, I sing the Brylcreem song.