Honored Contributor

Re: OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

Sandree, that was wonderfully written. I know hip is somewhat different (both bones) than my knee surgery.

I do know you gave good advice and it was well written. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I volunteer for orthopedists that are very well-known across the USA. Annabelle is correct. After surgery,go directly to rehab. Many hospitals have rehab available right there. Your hospital stay will most likely be 3 days. Basic therapy will start the day after surgery. It will include basic things like getting in and out of bed,chair,etc. best bet....get a pair of sneakers with Velcro. Your bending will be limited for awhile and you must follow thru with your exercises once you get home. If there is anything I can find out for you,please ask. I have never met anyone who has regretted getting the replacement and I have met lots in my volunteer position. Best wishes and you go,girl!
Honored Contributor

Please don't rely on pain meds, in order to postpone this. I assume you're talking about meds like Aleve or Advil? There are so many side effects when you're taking these daily.

I had my last hip replacement about 11 years ago, and was in my early 40's at the time. A year later, I was more active than I had been in the previous 20 years. Once you're pain-free again, you'll be kicking yourself for not having the surgery sooner.

Honored Contributor

september good information. I will always have to take pain meds for other reasons. Some of my problems cannot be fixed. However, it is a constant battle to use the less amount to control as much of the pain as I can endure.

You give good information. Drs don't always give good advice. It is too easy to pop a pain pill.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't had hip replacement, but I've had both knees replaced, one in 2012 and one in 2013. I didn't want to do it, kept hoping they'd get better on their own, and hobbled around in pain and partial disability for years before I finally did what needed to be done. From what I've heard, knee surgery is more challenging than hip surgery, but I did fine and am so glad I finally went through with it. No, it wasn't easy; it didn't make me 25 again, and I haven't suddenly become athletic, but I can now walk without pain, do my shopping, errands, and housework, and live life like a normal person. The fact is, if the cartilage in your joint is wearing out and breaking down, the process isn't going to reverse itself. You need surgery to get a functional joint again.

Be sure you find an excellent, experienced surgeon and medical center. If the surgeon or hospital offers an informational class for joint replacement patients, go. Ask questions and learn about the surgery and the recovery process. Know that you'll need to go through physical therapy and a rehab process after surgery, and commit yourself to that work. If you're healthy and have someone at home to help you, it's quite likely that you'll be able to come home right after the surgery. The physical therapists at the hospital should help you get the assistive equipment you'll need at home during recovery (a potty seat with arms, a shower chair, and a walker, most likely). They'll be sure you can move around well enough to get along at home before they send you there. Your doctor can arrange for a visiting therapist to come to your home for the first few weeks. I had the PT three times a week for about three weeks, which was wonderfully helpful, and then I graduated to outpatient PT. If your doctor feels you'll do better spending a few weeks in inpatient rehab, he can order that, but honestly most people do very well at home with in-home PT, family support, and the right equipment.

Thousands of people have joint replacement surgery, and although no surgery is risk-free, most of them do very well nowadays. Odds are you'll function much better and have much less pain with a new hip. Best of luck to you!

Regular Contributor

Sandree is correct. Check out anterior surgery. Quick recovery.
Super Contributor

Hi Chris - I would like to do my best to reassure you that this surgery is the best thing you can do for yourself. No more pain, no more limping, and normal movement again. I have had both hips replaced, the first in 2001, I was 59 and the second one in 2012, I was 70.

The first time I was in the hospital for 4 days and then went to rehab (at the same hospital --different floor) for a week. The second time was so much easier. I was in the hospital for 1-1/2 days and then returned home. I had a physical therapist and a nurse come to my house 3 times a week until I was able to go to PT after the initial healing process. NO PAIN, very little medication and physical therapy was a breeze. I had the same surgeon for both surgeries and he is wonderful. There's been so many advancements since 2001 and I regret waiting so long to have the second surgery performed. Prior to the second surgery, my doctor gave a class for his patients scheduled during that time period and talked about what we could expect, and answer any questions his patients might have. It is extremely important, in my view, that the patient has confidence in her doctor. When I first met Dr. M. I knew that is the guy I can trust to do this and I never regretted that decision.

Please ask any questions you might have and I will try to answer. Best of luck to you, and just remember, the sooner you have it done, the sooner you can get back to your life. You could be healed and ready to go dancing by autumn.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I are in our 50's, healthy, in shape, eat healthy and exercise. My husband's hip got to the point where he had to stop doing the things he loved. He had anterior hip replacement about a year ago and got through it like a champ. He said the best thing he did was have the surgery. I have a friend also in her 50s and she had it done two months ago and is doing great. Like my husband she is thrilled that she finally had it done.

Pain killers are a bandaid. You need to address the problem. My husband was amazing the way he go through it. He was walking with a walker for the first couple of days, then a cane. The day he came home from the hospital (day 4) he was walking around our house outside with a cane. Our neighbors couldn't believe it. He was taking some pain meds for the first week then regular Tylenol. Once home, a physical therapist came to the house 3 times a week for a couple of weeks then he went to a local PT facility for 2 hours 3 times a week. You should see him now. He works out in the gym 3 times a week during his lunch hour, on weekends in the morning, he walks three miles and one afternoon over the weekend he goes on 25 mile bicycle rides. The recovery was not bad at all and the same for my friend - she is doing great walking around and driving up to Cape Cod with the Family for their vacation right now. The longer you wait the worse it gets and the more difficult the recovery.

Honored Contributor

I'm seeing a common theme here. Most people (and I was one of them), know they need to have joint replacement surgery done, but convince themselves that it isn't bad enough yet. Or believe that it might get better. Degenerative conditions don't get better. The only fix is to have the surgery done.

I've not seen anyone here say they regret having the surgery, Chris, so I hope this is encouraging to you.

Super Contributor

You didn't mention what the condition is that is requiring hip replacement. Often it is for a fracture, or severe degeneration. If you have doubts, get another opinion. It is a big surgery. You don't fit the profile for most hip replacements, being so young and fit. For me, I am so reluctant to have surgery, I would tend to use pain medication until it was not effective, but that is just me. Also, if you were old enough for Medicare, you would qualify for free in home physical therapy at least for a whole after surgery. Your insurance company may pay for that. Also, what is your insurance company saying? Are they agreeing to oay for,the surgery and PT at home afterwards? I think you are wise to consider all your options. Surgery is no laughing matter. After my fractured bones in my left arm, I had to have surgery, and am permanently disabled, and can't play piano anymore. MOST surgeries have a good outcome, but there is always risk versus benefit. I was an RN for many years. If you decide to have the surgery, check out the surgeons you can choose from. If you know nurses, ask them, not doctors. I love my doctor, but referrals are often made for political,reasons. Pick an excellent hospital, with very low infection rates. You can get that information. Do a tour of the Ortho unit. You'll need a visitor's pass, but the hospital should be okay with it. Be your own advocate. And have your husband stay with you in a rollaway bed. If the hospital doesn't allow it, go elsewhere. I tell everyone never to be alone in the hospital. I had a horrible experience with my hysterectomy. I could have sued...wish I had.