Trusted Contributor

Re: OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

Hi, Donor! I am 58 years old and have had both hips replaced. The first, my left, was in 2004 when I was 49 years old, and my right was replaced in 2008. With the left one, I lived with pain for two years and it got to the point where I had to pick my leg up with my hands to get it in the car. When I met the surgeon, he introduced himself and told me I needed a new hip, and that I would need the other one replaced in the future (apparently congenitally malformed and one of the traits I can trace straight back to my Dad). This surgeon in Newport Beach, CA came highly recommended and did a fabulous job. He pointed out that my left leg was shorter by at least half an inch and that was putting pressure on the rest of my body. He said he would fix that and he did. The other surgeon was also very good, located in Winchester, VA near where we lived at the time. I have NEVER regretted either surgery, both of which took care of the chronic pain. In both cases I was back to work in 4 weeks after completing the rehab exercises. I now have full range of motion and am an avid fan of walking and Pilates for my exercise routines. Hope this helps along with the resources pointed out in other posts. Mary Jo
Regular Contributor

Sorry, but haven't read the others posts. Just wanted you to know, do it the sooner the better. With my first, both due to taking a lot of Prednisone and bones softening, I could still walk without a cane or walker but in pain from the groin to across the thigh. When in a store, I leaned on the cart. I had it done and it was a breeze because they say, the more active you are before surgery, the shorter the recovery time, and so true. I had rehab for two week in my home, and walked without anything in less than 3 weeks. I coud move exactly like I did before.

The second, in terrible pain very fast, but a lot of prednisone. By the time I took another test for an antibiotic, I was allergic to ALL, the tests, MRI, etc., I had TOTAL collapse!!! I had to use a walker until the doc could operate. It was bad, lost blood this time, in horrible pain, and had four weeks of in home rehab, very slow, and a walker for three more weeks. I couldn't take outpatient rehab like the first time, too much pain during the excercises. The first time, I also did outpatient on my own for a month with no problems. The second time, too much pain, but only during rehab. I could walk without pain, but, realized I couldn't move as well and still can't put myself into certain positions like the first.

You should do fine, but will need help. My hubby took off work with the first two weeks and then my mom came for another week. With the second, he took off for almost 4 weeks, and then on my own. I can't walk up and down stairs without holding onto railings, because of the second. I can't get into and out of cars easily. I will always have problems, and the doc can't do any better, he did his best. Please write if you have any questions. but you are good now, so please do this ASAP! The very best to you, and God bless!

I forgot to say, that because of my allergies, I USED NO PAIN PILLS!!! I got through the first okay, but it hurt. The second, they tested me while in the hosp. for narcotics. Every day a new one with horrible side effects. I couldn't take anything, not even OTC pain pills. I don't know how I did it, just pure will power. Not saying this to feel sorry for me, but to let you know, you don't have to take those strong pain pills they offer. My roommate had a pump of morphine and pills of oxycontin. When she talked on the phone, she told everyone how easy everything was, no lie! But she could barely walk on her walker, lol. Just saying, take as little as possible.

Frequent Contributor

I was 67 when I had both hips replaced, nurses couldn't believe I had both done at the same time. I was driving 4 weeks after and was back at work after 6 weeks. Best thing I ever did! I was in so much pain before the surgery and could hardly walk, I wish I hadn't waited so long because it only gets worse. They made me get up and walk the next morning after surgery and I think that was the worst part of the whole ordeal. Don't put it off, you'll be so glad did.

As a side note, my mother was 85 when she had a hip replacement.

I saw where earlier someone mentioned anterior surgery versus posterior, I also had anterior and you don't have some of the same restrictions that you do with posterior.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read the other replies, but I will gladly share my experience with you. I am a knee replacement (2) and not hip, but understand what you are feeling.

My best advice is to have the surgery while you are still able to walk without any assistance, such as a cane or a walker. Due to one health problem, one after another after another,I was unable to have surgery because my health was not good. I had to wait 3 to 3 1/2 years after the time I knew I needed to have surgery, as my worse knee was bone on bone, was difficult to walk, and started using a walker.

I have had both knees replaced and they are wonderful, but due to the lopsided I walked for those years, my back was affected and I still cannot walk without using a walker. I don't know if I will ever be able to walk independently again.

So, my advice is, if all the evaluations, x-rays, and doctors recommend that you do it, then don't delay. Go into the surgery with the positive attitude that everything is going to go well, listen to what the doctors say, and do your PT. I know with knees if you don't do your PT you may as well not have the replacement done, and I would imagine it would also apply to hips, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you, and will hope that your anxiety lessens and you prepare yourself mentally for the surgery.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my pelvis and hips when I was in my mid-30's as a result of tests to see if my breast cancer had spread to my bones. Needless to say, I was thrilled to hear the "spot" was only arthritis! Fast forward 30 years and not so much fun. I could barely get around - had the shots, etc., but nothing helped. Went to a new doctor who looked at my x-rays and asked how I was even walking - not very well, thank you, nor could I shave my legs, put on socks or pick up something off the floor. I scheduled surgery on my right hip as soon as possible. Best thing I ever did. I spent five days in the hospital and a week in rehab then had at-home rehab or another week or so which was cut short by Hurricane Sandy.

I stayed home for 2-1/2 months but really could have gone back sooner if I wanted (I had 40 years of service and a ton of sick time, so never had to go on disability). Now I can do everything. Still get a little stiff when the weather is bad, but, then again, I still have arthritis.

I say go for it - you won't regret it for a minute. Whatever discomfort I felt after the surgery was nothing compared to how I felt before.

Frequent Contributor

There is a Delphi forum called Back On Our Feet that my husband was a member of for a while that is for people who need and/or have had joint replacement. He found it a very helpful resource.

He has had both knees done and has no regrets whatsoever.

A couple of my coworkers have had knees and hips, again, no regrets.

hth and good luck to you!

Respected Contributor

I forgot to tell you....there is one MAJOR downside: NO MORE BIKINI, unless you are not afraid to show off your scars. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

Any surgery is easier and likely to have a better outcome when you are younger rather than older! If you have a diagnosed, documented reason for the surgery, do it and get it over with. I can't think of any valid reason for waiting.
Trusted Contributor

One more thing. Make sure you find the BEST surgeon possible. Someone who specializes in hip replacement and has done thousands of them. My husband had a very well known and reputable surgeon. He not only does hip replacement (for years) but he had already done over 1,000 anterior hip surgeries by the time he did my husband's hip. In addition my next door neighbor is an Orthopedic Surgeon and my husband's doctor is also his doctor. Always follow who the doctors go to when they need surgery.

Super Contributor

Had my hip replaced march last yr. S O glad. I could not do anything and hurt 24/7. Hydrocod. did not help. I will have to get my left knee replaced next year and the same dr will do it. I am 64 and do not like sitting and hurting all the time. It really bothered me, in my head. I like to garden and just doin and could not. Got Merry Maids to clean my house cause i could not. I am proud of all my scars. That means i took control of a problem and came out of it. Way to go dfrye, resort gal, i understand what u r saying. It is so important you do not wait. Get it done. My arthritis is in my knees, left bad, and my Lower back. I dont know where u r, but i am in Nashville. I can give u my dr. Name. My 88 year old neighbors had both of their knees replaced and my pcp's wife had hers done my him and she has to be in her 80's. Good luck.