Super Contributor

Re: O/T Farewell Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

I was shocked and saddened. Phillip's home town is about an hour's drive from where I lived in Upstate. NY was very proud of this fine actor. He could have accomplished so much more. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

He'd been clean for over 20 years. So sad.
Respected Contributor

He was an extremely talented actor. RIP.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Contributor

Very sad news

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely brilliant actor. He really did stand out on the screen. His "Capote" was exceptional and perfectly cast, imo. And a fabulous villain in Mission Impossible III. He had a really interesting acting style. I saw one movie with PSH and Laura Linney dealing with the complexities of an aging, antagonistic Father after his wife (their Mom) dies. Phillip and Laura really seemed to be brother and sister through their superb acting.

So very sad and my heart and prayers go out to his family. Just saw him at the Golden Globes. Actors are not any different than the rest of the population when it comes to addiction. They just get a lot more attention when they pass away from over doses.

Corey Monteith's death (Glee) was just 6 to 7 months ago from the same thing.

Super Contributor

They said found in the bathroom with a needle in his arm. What an ending. Some people just can't ever be completely happy. You have everything and end up like that. Pretty awful.
Super Contributor

On 2/2/2014 makeup addict said: He'd been clean for over 20 years. So sad.
Addiction is evil. Heartbreaking.
Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2014 cyndog said: They said found in the bathroom with a needle in his arm. What an ending. Some people just can't ever be completely happy. You have everything and end up like that. Pretty awful.

Define ""everything.""

Seeming outward success means nothing. None of us knows others' lives and what goes on in their minds and their demons.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Just some food for thought for those of you who have or haven't been touched by addiction.

Addiction is a disease and not a choice any more than getting cancer is a choice. When we see famous people dying from addiction it's not really about celebrity causing the disease. It is easier to get drugs with more money, yes, but addicts will do whatever they need to in order to get their drug of choice. I have been in the counseling/addiction treatment field for a while and it is hard when you see clients struggle.

The thing is, it can happen to almost any one and it truly is a disease that is chronic and requires a life long tending too in order to maintain sobriety. Dr. Drew Pinsky is an expert in addiction--if any of you get a chance to see him he explains it much better than I can.

Bottom line, I loved Phillip Seymour Hoffman's work and am very saddened by his death. He was always open and went public about his struggles with drugs and alcohol. I will miss his work.

Kittytalk

Trusted Contributor

I'm really saddened by this, he was such a talented actor-one of the best. Jim Carrey in a tweet said something to the effect that for those of us who are very sensitive, the noise can be too much. I agree with that.