Valued Contributor

O/T Farewell Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

This is definitely off topic but I just read on AOL that he has passed away and unfortunately was found after a heroin overdose. He was one of my favorite actors, whether in a leading role or a cameo. He just jumped off the screen at you and stole whatever scene he was in. It's a loss to film fans and a lesson to everyone about the dark side of celebrity and drugs.

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Farewell Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

sorry but I never heard of him. Still sad though, regardless.

Honored Contributor

never watched the movies he was in but did hear he won an Oscar; he looked vaguely familiar to me....another celebrity dying from drug abuse.....apparently heroin is widely used by celebrities today...how many have to die before they figure it out? and I am so sad for this man's children; I think I read he has a five year-old son.

Valued Contributor

I was a fan early on from his role in "Twister". Even though he was a tiny side character, that suited him fine. Character actor. He could mold and twist into any character and bring them alive with a depth that made you want to know more about them. I was pleased when he won his Oscar, well deserved. I never knew he struggled with heroin and I am sad for this and his kids and non wife he leaves behind. May they find comfort in knowing he was a good man, just lost his way.

Valued Contributor

Sad loss of a great actor, so young, too. I was fortunate to see him on the stage about 10 years ago in "Long Day's Journey Into Night" - he was wonderful, as he was in every role he played. Hope now he's found the peace he couldn't find in life.

Respected Contributor

I loved him in Almost Famous"". One of my favorite movies.

Honored Contributor

An excellent actor. RIP. I agree with Nadjalu's expressive words.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

So sad. he completed drug and alcohol rehab last year, I read. very sad, he was an excellent actor. It was just a few years ago that Heath Ledger died of a drug overdose. Both of them, gone too soon.

Super Contributor

On 2/2/2014 upsidedown said:

never watched the movies he was in but did hear he won an Oscar; he looked vaguely familiar to me....another celebrity dying from drug abuse.....apparently heroin is widely used by celebrities today...how many have to die before they figure it out? and I am so sad for this man's children; I think I read he has a five year-old son.

I think he has 3 children under age 10. Tragic.

Contributor

On 2/2/2014 upsidedown said:

MSH has been in Twister, Boogie Nights and The Incredible Mr. Ripley and Capote.... just to name a few of his movies. So sad to hear of his passing. Smiley Sad