Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Estate Sale with over $700,000 of new QVC items

@60sgirl wrote:

there are people who post right on this forum who frequently remind us that they are rich and buy multiples of things and then never open the boxes and don't send them back. 

I think this happens more than we think. 

I think you may be right.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

An auctioneer friend of mine has told me that she has run into more than a few homes packed with unopened QVC merchandise.  

Watch any of the 'Hoarders' shows.   Invariably you'll see a number of QVC boxes/packaging lying around in the hoarder's home.  And most of the time those folks are down to their last penny to live on.  It's an addiction for many. 

I don't watch those shows much anymore because they often just make me angry, lol, but I've seen many whith unopened HSN and QVC packages buried underneath all the waste and feces and...well, you get the picture.

I, too, have had mixed emotions watching these shows.

After watching for several years, the one thing I've gleaned is Empathy.

I have a better understanding w/ not only people on the show, but if I experience someone, in real life, who is anxious about a situation.  Addiction comes in many different forms/shapes/sizes, but the mindset is generally the same across the board.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

An auctioneer friend of mine has told me that she has run into more than a few homes packed with unopened QVC merchandise.  

Watch any of the 'Hoarders' shows.   Invariably you'll see a number of QVC boxes/packaging lying around in the hoarder's home.  And most of the time those folks are down to their last penny to live on.  It's an addiction for many. 

I don't watch those shows much anymore because they often just make me angry, lol, but I've seen many whith unopened HSN and QVC packages buried underneath all the waste and feces and...well, you get the picture.

I have a better understanding w/ not only people on the show, but if I experience someone, in real life, who is anxious about a situation.  Addiction comes in many different forms/shapes/sizes, but the mindset is generally the same across the board.  

Yeah but I am sorry, some (not all, but some) were just lazy and slobs. I do not believe that all hoarding/never cleaning your house is a sign of mental illness or addiction. Those are the ones I was angry about. And those people whose children had to live in all that filth just made me so sad.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze

@HappyDaze wrote:

That is just really disgusting to me. If she wanted to spend that much money on the things and USED and ENJOYED them, that would be one thing but since most was unused, that just sickens me.

Probably all in her "gift closet"

BTW, after scanning the article, I don't think QVC was the only place she shopped.  The article mentions Sharif handbags which are sold on HSN.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

Yeah but I am sorry, some (not all, but some) were just lazy and slobs. I do not believe that all hoarding/never cleaning your house is a sign of mental illness or addiction. Those are the ones I was angry about. And those people whose children had to live in all that filth just made me so sad.

...and that's why I'm so happy those shows are still on...to educate.

It's not about being lazy or a slob...it's a true addiction.

One can't see what's between the ears...as the show clearly explains.

I can understand how someone would think that, though, if not watching.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

...and that's why I'm so happy those shows are still on...to educate.

It's not about being lazy or a slob...it's a true addiction.

One can't see what's between the ears...as the show clearly explains.

I can understand how someone would think that, though, if not watching.

we will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Trusted Contributor

Holy cow!

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I never saw so many pop-ups in my life, I have good security but it didn't touch that newspaper.  What state was that in?  I know of two Caledonias, and I bet there are many more.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw this in the local newspaper, too, Autumn.  I'd like to go to the event in Feb., if I can manage it and know the date ahead of time.  I'd like to check out those D&B bags.

Caledonia (New York) is about 40 minutes from me.  It's a tiny town SW of Rochester.

(You are rigtht, Debglass.  D&C is a horrible newspaper and their website is worse.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Seems to me TV shopping and the Internet make hoarding very easy, but plenty of people waste their money all kinds of ways without ever spending a dollar here.

One of the reason I go to the consignments shops frequently is that pretty often there are clothes there with the tags still attached -  rarely from the shoipping channels although I have no idea why that is.

I don't shop randomly any longer, but if I were to pick an addiction, I'd rather be addicted to shopping than to alcohol, gambling, cigarettes, cocaine, or lots of other things you can name.

In a way, I'd like to be like the old woman in the movie Paper Moon who wanted to spend all her money rather than leaving it for a nephew who paid her no mind.