Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Estate Sale with over $700,000 of new QVC items

It appears she shopped all the channels not just QVC, though he only mentions QVC in the article.

Respected Contributor

Can someone copy the story for me please.  I can't read it because of the pop-ups.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I must have a bug on my computer.  Still can't read the story.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

I don't know if this is sad or pathetic. Maybe both.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@NightowlzHopefully she enjoyed spending her own money, and whoever is running the estate sale will donate whatever the proceeds to a worthy charity after they've paid any bills she died owing.

I bet she did have fun spending her money. The guy that bought it is an Estate Liquidator. He now lives in the 5200 sq ft home.  He plans to have another Estate sale in Feb. The article did not say anything about him donating to charity. He could donate to St. Judes Childrens Hospital.

shoekitty said

If he is an estate liquidater, he wouldn't donate money.  That is his salary.  Liquidating an estate works 2 ways.  He buys all the stuff in the house, after an appraisal, for a flat amount and sells it as he chooses.  Or, he sells all the stuff and keeps a %.  This is usually how they do it.  Everything that doesn't sell after a few auctions goes back to the estate, and lawyers or family  deal with it. We hired an estate liquidater once.  They have a vested interest in the items.  The research the stuff, price it and advertise.  They take total control of the sale.  They keep inventory, and a running log of sales.  At end of sale they take their cut and give all the stuff back.  Sometimes they ask if they can buy some of the stuff at a reduced price.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

Can someone copy the story for me please.  I can't read it because of the pop-ups.

Thanks.

$700K of QVC goods on sale at Caledonia barn

Dooney & Bourke purses. Emeril cookware. George Foreman grills.

Just about anything you can buy on the QVC shopping channel was for sale for a fraction of the retail price at the Wadsworth-Jerris Estate at 1211 W. River Road in Caledonia this past Saturday. Estate liquidator Jim Jerris purchased the estate of a recently deceased woman who enjoyed the shopping channel so much that she had about $700,000 worth of new, unused goods stored away in her home.

The sale brought out bargain hunters with Dooney & Bourke purses being a hot item, Jerris said, noting that he sold 50 such purses valued at $348 for $100.

Other bargains included $80 Ryka sneaker in women's size 8.5 for $20, a radio television flashlight for camping for $20, collectible Christmas ornaments, a Sharif leather handbag for $50, mini deep fryer for $10 and many as-seen-on-TV gadgets for just a few dollars.

"If I don't have it, you don't need it," Jerris said.

Jerris still has much of the inventory left from the Saturday sale and he plans to host another sale at the barn at his estate in February, just in time for Valentine's Day. And yes, he still has many unsold leather Dooney & Bourke purses left for the next sale.

The Wadsworth-Jerris Estate where Jerris resides is an 1838 property with a 5,200-square-foot main house and 4,800-square-foot, two-story barn. Both buildings have been returned to their original beauty by Jerris.

Honored Contributor

To me this estate looks like it is a historical structure. I noticed how fast the "new" owner - the estate liquidator - attached his own name to it! Smiley Wink

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Woman Sad

This situation is very sad indeed.  Spending $700,000 on items she never used.  To me it is very sad to think of all the good $700,000 would have done to help so many people in need.  She was very blessed to have many material things but she was not poor in spiirt Matthew 13:44.

Hebrews 12:2

Respected Contributor

@autumnfaire wrote:

$700K of QVC goods on sale at Caledonia barn

Rochester Democrat and Chronicle‎ - 2 days ago

Just about anything you can buy on the QVC shopping channel was for sale for a fraction of .

I agree with all of the others that it is really sad that she spent so much money on products that she never used.  Even though we don't know how long she was purchasing these products it is still a substantial amount of money to spend on shopping channel products.  She must have been fairly wealthy to spend this money on unnecessary purchases.  

Respected Contributor

Makes me very sad that this woman was such a poor steward of her money.  I totally believe in spending to enhance your life, but not to be this kind of wasteful!  My thoughts go to how many animals could have been spay/neutered with those funds.  Ugh.