Super Contributor

Re: Need advice for Vacation!!

I am not a traveler so I can't be much help. I did think of one thing: I've seen presentations on the Q for wallets with RFID protection for credit cards and another for passports.

I've also seen a wallet-like holder that you can carry around your neck to hold your passport, id and airline tickets. Apparently, as you go through security checkpoints, you will have easy access to these items and keep them from getting lost accidently.

Super Contributor

I googled Rick Steves as recommended in a post above and found an interesting discussion concerning how to ""lock"" luggage. They were talking about plastic zip ties - think the ones used for handcuffs - and why some locks were not a good idea. Fascinating discussion. You might want to do a google search on how to lock luggage going to Europe.

TSA locks won't work overseas. Inspectors will just cut them off.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/28/2014 Irishrose136 said:

I am not a traveler so I can't be much help. I did think of one thing: I've seen presentations on the Q for wallets with RFID protection for credit cards and another for passports.

I've also seen a wallet-like holder that you can carry around your neck to hold your passport, id and airline tickets. Apparently, as you go through security checkpoints, you will have easy access to these items and keep them from getting lost accidently.

Nothing screams "I'm a tourist!" like one of these pouches around your neck. A money belt worn under the clothes is safer. Another dead give away in Europe - sneakers.

Regular Contributor

One of my friends told me that she always takes "old" but sturdy underwear...then throws them away...to make suitcase room for new, small purchases! LOL! She was serious!

Have a wonderful time and be SURE to keep us posted on fashion! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Roll your clothes. You can pack much more. I doubted it. But it is true. Daughter learned it from her 7th grade band director. I'm a believer now. Less wrinkles too.

I bought my cross-body slash proof purse from goininstyle . com I felt much better at some of the excursions in Italy and Spain with it.

And maybe a nice rain jacket . . . North Face or whatever brand that can be rolled small enough into its own pocket . . .vs the hassle of an umbrella . . . helps make touring even on rainy days still enjoyable vs. not so much. Smiley Happy We had major rain storm while in Barcelona and kept right on touring.

And I try to go less is more on makeup . .. like a BB compact/palette that might have 3 eye shadows and one can be used for a liner and two blushes . . . easy to over pack on skincare and makeup and hair stuff. Smiley Happy

Contributor

THANK-YOU for all of the great advice! I am getting excited as vacation time gets closer and I feel like I have some good ideas for packing. Pairing down my make-up and face cream as well as clothing and jewelry is going to be tough-but I know I have to. I am looking for a purse as suggested and the locks for luggage. Your expertise is appreciated!

Valued Contributor

On 4/29/2014 LovingLife2 said:

THANK-YOU for all of the great advice! . . . . I am looking for a purse as suggested and the locks for luggage. Your expertise is appreciated!

I definitely would buy a RFID wallet or the individual sleeves to slip your credit cards in to then place in your wallet. My Mom and I went to London last September. Her credit card was skimmed (we think it happened in Heathrow Airport). Anybody can purchase the scanners and you would never know it. Luckily, she was alerted that the credit card had been compromised and a disaster was averted!!

If your luggage is opened/inspected, TSA is supposed to leave a note inside stating such. I had my luggage opened/inspected and no note was left inside my luggage. If you use the universal locks you may never know that your luggage was opened unless, of course, items were missing. That was when I started to use the colored zip ties. They're very inexpensive and you can buy them at Home Depot. For example, "on my flight to London" I would use all blue zip ties. When I get to London and all blue zip ties are still on I know that no one, including TSA, has opened my luggage. HTH

Contributor

THANKS!! This is what I want to know-how to be safe while traveling abroad! Thanks for the tips! I will be getting the zip ties and RFID wallet!!

What is the dress code as a traveler in Europe? I don't want to look like a traveler but want to still be comfortable?????

Contributor

A few more bits of advice.

You should notify your credit card companies of the counties you will be traveling to. If they see oversea charges, and you didn't notify them, they might close the account. You should also find out what card you might have that doesn't charge conversion fees.

When I travel overseas, I keep different amounts of money in different pockets. That why if I got pick pocketed, they didn't get all my money. I will say that I went to Rome, and although I was warned about pick pockets, I had no issues. Keep aware of what is going on around you.

In many churches in Europe, your shoulders need to be covered. A scarf or light wrap will work.

Finally, when I went on buying sprees, I asked the stores if they shipped. Most did, and I just had my purchases shipped home instead of worrying about carrying them for the rest of my trip.

Have a good time!