Trusted Contributor

Re: Need advice for Vacation!!

How wonderful! I go to Europe every chance I get.

Get a Capital One credit card. They do not charge a foreign exchange fee. Get money belts to wear under your clothes. Keep your ATM card (the best way to get cash), Passport and extra money in it at all times. I use a leather Fossil purse with lots of pockets, but never have anything of much value in it.

Before you leave, send yourself an email with all travel info, including your passport#, CC numbers. If everything is lost, you can still access everything form any computer.

Pack light! I only bring black clothes with a few accent pieces. I pick one set of jewelry and wear it every day. Nothing to steal from my suitcase that way.

Most Important Tip: Go to Pierre Hermé (rue Bonaparte near St. Sulpice) in Paris and get macarons, a lemon tarte, croissant Ispahan and anything else. His pastries are absolutely the best. Ever. Anywhere. Bon voyage et bon appetit!

Contributor

Happy anniversaryyy!! My piece of advice would be to take convertible items. For example, I have a sweater that can be worn multiple ways and a maxi skirt that can convert to a dress. Multiple use items are the best without looking like you are wearing the same thing everyday.

Also too, since you are going overseas, make sure you don't have any items with American flags on them. That is a clear target for pick pocketers and in general, people in other countries tend to not like Americans.

Have a great time!!

Respected Contributor

I advise going light as posible and call the airline to see items you can not bring with you

Super Contributor

Have fun! If you are taking two suitcases, pack half your clothes in each. This way if a suitcase goes astray, you'll both have some clothes.

Valued Contributor

I've traveled a lot, lived in a lot of places. Pack a scarf (dresses up any outfit and some of the churches may prefer them), comfortable dresses and skirts take up little room and can be cool in the heat, at least one nice dress just in case you go somewhere nicer, 2 pair of pants is probably enough, pair of good sandals (something you can wear daily but also dresses up an outfit) and good walking shoes. Take a light rain jacket & a cover up sweater. Immodium (a big one to remember), aspirin/Tylenol, and allergy meds if you need them. A cross-body bag with zippered pockets inside. Sunscreen is a must. Take sample sizes of toiletries. All of that stuff can be bought there. The spray kind is the most convenient. I like to buy travel clothes from Patagonia or Rei. They're more expensive but they travel very well, less wrinkles, durable and sometimes waterproof. Always carry a photocopy of your passport and keep other copies in your luggage and hotel room. If your passport gets lost or stolen you can report it right away.

Valued Contributor

On 4/28/2014 Riverside said:

Have fun! If you are taking two suitcases, pack half your clothes in each. This way if a suitcase goes astray, you'll both have some clothes.

Happy 30th!! This is a great suggestion. Here are a few more luggage-related tips: (1) Stencil your last name or nickname in BIG letters on your luggage. This makes it easier to identify your bags on the carousel than a bright bow/yarn and no one else will pick up your bag(s) by mistake; (2) Buy Magellan's Retriever Tags (Set of Two), Item #LA316. Two-pack is on sale now for $6.98. You can buy yellow or red. You put a copy of your travel itinerary inside the "Retriever Tag" and it invites baggage agents (in eight languages) to read the travel itinerary which you have placed inside and forward the bag(s) to you en route; and (3) Take pictures of your luggage and keep them on your cell phone/iPad/laptop. If your luggage happens to get lost you will have to file a claim and fill out paperwork describing your luggage. Pictures will make that task easier for you and help the agent processing your claim. HTH
Valued Contributor

On 4/28/2014 LovingLife2 said:

Thanks! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} This is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. I never knew they made disposable underwear...who knew? OTC medications is another thing I didn't think of. When traveling in the states-things are readily available. We have a meeting with our travel agent to book excursions 2 weeks before we go-but I am a planner and need to figure out my clothing and things way before that time. Any other advice for this first time Europe Traveler would be appreciated!

Yes, you can buy disposable underwear but what I do is take my older underwear and throw it away -- instant disposable underwear! OTC's for stomach, allergies, etc. is good. I always take a prescription antibiotic -- just in case. If you take any Rx medication be sure to take it in the original containers especially if you take any pain medication (narcotic). It is also wise to have a doctor's note for pain medication as well. HTH
Respected Contributor

Where did the op go?

Respected Contributor

This plan is insane. You cannot do it all in such short time. And especially to celebrate your romance. I've travelled a lot and been to all these places,my advice to do either London -Paris or Italy. Leave Germany and Austria out of it. They are not romantic,beautiful but not romantic. Do not turn your trip into a rat race. Have a taste of the place,live a little. Get Rick Steve's books.Bring comfy but classy shoes, black ,gray,neutral clothing,white blouse,thin sweaters, thin pashmina ,rain gear,jewelry ,meds,first aid,band aids,neosporine,allergy pills,earplugs. Congrats and enjoy. Do not be a tourist- kamikaze .
Super Contributor

On 4/28/2014 Hoovermom said:

Where did the op go?

She started packing..............