Honored Contributor

Need Clarification on Primer and Sunscreen, etc., please!

[ Edited ]

I know there have been so many posts about primers and sunscreen.  

Since I have recently had to have surgery for basal cell cancer, I am even more scared of sun exposure to my face and scalp!

I hope you all can clarify a couple of things for me.  

I have such sensitive skin and also have rosacea.  I can't handle any product with fragrance.

Those of you who use a Primer before your Foundation, do you use also a regular moisturizer, then your Primer, then your Sunscreen, and then your foundation?  Or do you use a product which does mutltiple things, such as a primer or moisturizer or sunscreen which does everything in one?  If you have to use a different product for each step, it seems like a lot of steps and a lot of products, plus I think my skin would feel greasy and suffocated!  And then this would cause breakouts!!!

Do you just use a Sunscreen which is tinted?  And do away with the Primer, separate moisturizer, etc.?

I am very concerned about getting my skin protected  -- I don't want any more skin cancers!  But I also want my makeup to look half decent as well!

Also, I wear my hair parted in the middle and this is where I got the cancer.  Is there a particular product I could use to protect this part and which is not all greasy and messy?  I do wear a hat when I do gardening.  

Any type of products and suggestions would be so very much appreciated!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Need Clarification on Primer and Sunscreen, etc., please!

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope you are healing well.

I have sensitive skin that tends to be dry so I only use Argan oil ( not JM) to moisturize

and then a sunscreen. For me, less is more. I never found a primer to be beneficial.

I walk my dogs 1.5 miles a day and always wear a hat. I don't wear makeup if I'm staying at home or only running a quick errand.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1. Sorry to ask if this is too personal but I have also been diagnosed with Basel Cell skin cancer on my face and it has been suggested that I have the MOHS surgery. I’m scarred to death about the scarring I’m not sure what to expect. I have an overactive imagination and I have visions of a huge scar.
Super Contributor

Don't worry. I never see the scars from MOHS surgery. I had it too, around my nose. The surgeons are skilled. You have to get it done anyway and the scar would be better than the cancer. I always use sunscreen first. and last, that's all I use. I looked it up and the consensus is moisturize first, then sunscreen and make-up.last. 

Respected Contributor

@Bellini13 my husband had MOHS surgery right under his eye, and you can't even see the scar now.  He can see it, because he knows right where it is, but even when I look for it, it takes a long time to find it if he doesn't point it out to me.

Super Contributor

Thank you for you input. I find it encouraging. I really appreciate you all sharing❤️
Respected Contributor

@Bellini13 I had MOHS surgery about 6 years ago on the left side of my nose.  Noses are a difficult place because of the necessary reconstruction.  The surgeon took skin from behind my ear to "fashion" the new part of my nose.  I went back repeatedly for "tweaking" of the area.  The end story is that it is still different than the rest of my face.  The skin color and texture is different.  I don't give it much thought - I wear makeup when I think it needs to be less obvious.   As far as protecting my skin now - I wear dermtlgy SPF 45 daily all over my face and I apply another sunscreen on top of this when I am in the sun for an extended period.  Good ; luck to you on your skin journey.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All your skincare. Sunscreen after skincare then your primer. Prayers for you.. rule of thumb is don't rely on your makeup as your sunscreen. Moisturizer would be your last skin care step. Then sunscreen. Unless you use a moisturizer with sunscreen. Primer right before makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The order of sunscreen application depends on if it's mineral or if it's chemical.

Mineral ss is applied after skincare and before cosmetics.

Chemical ss is applied on clean dry skin, like you would apply a serum, so it absorbs in order for it to provide the SPF listed on the bottle and a period of 15 to 30 minutes of waiting time before going under the sun to allow it to absorb completely. Moisturizers and cosmetics can be applied after the chemical ss has dried completely and it's not necessary to wait any longer than that.

Your best sun defense is to use a separate sunscreen-only product rather than using a SPF- foundation or a SPF-moisturizer.

The amount you apply is important. Two finger amount for face and another two finger amount for neck/dec.

Two-Finger Tips and Tricks for Applying Sunscreen – Lotus Professional

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee  thank you for the mineral/ chemical clarification and the visual 

Im strictly chemical myself, it just seems to layer better with everything 

which btw I'm trying to pare down the "everything "😂