Honored Contributor

Re: My inexpensive beauty experiment

Baking soda will remove tea stains from stoneware cups and whiten your teeth over time ,so I would think it would take the color out of your hair. I make my own cleaning products from baking soda, vinegar and essential oils and they work great. I like having a green living space.

Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I realize baking soda can be good for many things but wouldn't it be too harsh on the scalp and deplete the hair of natural oils?  That sounds like breakage waiting to happen.  And with a dried out scalp, I can see eventual overproduction of oil to compensate.  Am I missing something?

According to FutureDerm, you are correct.

https://www.futurederm.com/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-w...

1.   Baking soda is a known irritant that will cause your hair to dry out and break over time.

With a pH of 9 — 100 times more basic than water — baking soda is a known alkaline irritant (Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, 1989). According to renowned dermatologist Dr. Audrey Kunin, M.D., “The first principle of shampooing:  make sure your shampoo says it is pH-balanced and avoid those that are alkaline. Alkaline shampoos strip the hair’s natural oils and disrupt the acid mantle, causing dehydration and leading to porous, fragile hair” (The DermaDoctor SkinStruction Manual, 2005).

Yes, it’s true that baking soda helps regulate pH — keeping a substance neither too acidic nor too alkaline. When baking soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, its effect is to neutralize that pH. However, as any cosmetic chemist can tell you, this effect occurs when baking soda is in solution with other chemicals. When baking soda is in water alone, guess what the pH of the solution is? You guessed it: A very basic 9, much more alkaline than plain ol’ water.

Above info from FutureDerm

Excellent post.

Planning to rotate between an extremely high base and a very low acidic is not skin/hair friendly.  The ph levels of the skin or hair are going to take a constant beating.  

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono, how is your hair experiment going? I'm concerned about the baking soda.......... I do occasionally use diluted apple cider vinegar as a rinse. It makes my hair amazingly shiny but to me there is a lingering smell. It is really noticeable if you get hot or when it's humid.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining

So far so good...

I washed this a.m. and went to Body Combat tonight (sweaty) so tomorrow a.m. I should just be able to wet it and go.  I will have to wash it on Thursday a.m.

Coincidentally, it's raining today and I didn't smell any lingering vinegar smell, but I don't have long hair.

I'm not concerned about breakage/damage as my hair is shorter and I get it cut often.  It seems a bit lighter too with this than with my normal co-washing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like it's working for you. Good! I have thick hair but it is fine-textured and shoulder length so it tends to trap scents. Oh, I had to come back and add something.........Body Combat sounds like a very tough workout!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining

RE Body Combat- here is the description:

BODYCOMBAT is a high-energy martial arts-inspired workout that is totally non-contact. Punch and kick your way to fitness and burn up to 740 calories* in a class. No experience needed. Learn moves from Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira and Kung Fu. Release stress, have a blast and feel like a champ. Bring your best fighter attitude and leave inhibitions at the door.

Honored Contributor

I am Interested in the body combat classes.What age group is typical for these classes?

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I am Interested in the body combat classes.What age group is typical for these classes?

@dex

We have quite a range.  I would say that the instructors are in their 20s-30s and we have moms, senior citizens, and a few twenty somethings.  There are lots of "levels" within the class, so our instructors always show modified versions.  The class actually goes pretty quickly.  Generally, I am not a fan of Les Mills (they run a certain choreography and specific tracks for a number of classes until the "new" release) but I do like this class a lot.