Esteemed Contributor

Re: Memorial Day please my husband

My dad fought in WWII, for the US of America to protect our country. Many, many like him. The very one that gives us all the freedom, except today, some of those freedoms are being taken away. Speech for example is one. You see it on these boards. You are not allowed to give opinions anymore or to speak your truth. All these men and women who have given so much, yet things keep getting worse. I,'ve seen WWII, Korean war, Vietnam war, gulf war, and this last one did I miss any? So sad. All the lives lost or crippled. Yet today we can,t even get along with each other, even on these boards.

People buy at Wal-Mart and all the discounts to save money. They don,t care about what is behind it, or who loses a job here in the US, as long as they save the almighty dollar. Some have to take advantage, because of low, or no income. Warehouse jobs go to Mexico, or some other country and thousands out of work. We are our own worse enemies. Is this what our men and women are fighting for today? I don,t think so and neither did they in WWII, just my humble opinion. Yesterday I saw a man with his wife and two children on the corner of a busy upscale supermarket with a sign, OUT OF WORK WIFE AND TWO KIDS, PLEASE HELP. BROUGHT me to tears. I do not think this one was a scam. I pass him and his family sitting there, you see so much of it today. Then my institution told me to turn around and go back, I felt it was real. We go to other countries to help and we need to stay and help our own.

Super Contributor

Please thank your husband for his service.

Honored Contributor

I thank him for his service to our country.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Please thank your husband for all his sacrifice. I'm so grateful that I live in this country and that's due to people like him. In the meantime do the best that you can. One thing I have learned is not to expect justice to happen in this life.

Super Contributor

We buy the american one much better quality and only a few dollars more. I was a factory worker for years,started with 10.000 working americans in that one factory watched it go down to 500 people then watched the factory being torn down with zero jobs.10.000 people lost their jobs to china thats what im talking about.Im strictly for america no matter what it is.So all the people who support china and other foreign countries who want to take over america then they should move there with them.
Honored Contributor

As the wife of a USAF veteran, it is sad to see that Memorial Day is pretty much only recognized as a big retail sale day and nothing more. Does your town have any events to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom? Very few anymore.

Super Contributor

Thank your husband for his service.

Trusted Contributor

My husband is also a veteran, and Memorial Day has become no more than a day to go out and shop for most people or have a picnic.

We just spend the last 1 1/2 hours placing flags on the graves at our National Cemetery along with many Girl and Boy Scouts, and our son's old Navy JROTC unit. Sobering to say the least.

Please fly your flags, even if it's a small one. Make a difference.

Valued Contributor

A big thank you to your husband for his service. My late FIL fought in WWII and my son is also a veteran.

We are in a global economy and I imagine with all the technology we have, it will remain that way. I am in a point in life where I downsized and do not require, or want, more stuff. So I tend to choose quality over price or quantity. If the item is made in America, then it is a plus.