Trusted Contributor

Re: Maybe they need to explain this

Yes @hyacinth003, the term is inflation.

Honored Contributor

A lot of this topic is about truth in advertising.  The jar is way bigger than the product to fool and cheat you: Deodorant, pills, candies in opaque bags, chips, etc.  You see a big container and half of what you are buying is volume.

You have no idea how big 4 oz. of anything is.  Four ounces of feathers, nuts, face cream?  All look different, so people assume by the size of the container.

Cheating.  Simply cheating.  Fraud. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just looked at my Genova tuna and the net weight is 7 oz.  As far as regular packaging, everything is by weight.  Where I run into problems is when I buy spices from my local spice vendor.  The spices are excellent, but they fill everything to the absolute top and it can be difficult to get the top off.  In fact, I have taken things back so that they could open them for me.  I like getting extra, but I don't generally have time to travel to get a top opened.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

A lot of this topic is about truth in advertising.  The jar is way bigger than the product to fool and cheat you: Deodorant, pills, candies in opaque bags, chips, etc.  You see a big container and half of what you are buying is volume.

You have no idea how big 4 oz. of anything is.  Four ounces of feathers, nuts, face cream?  All look different, so people assume by the size of the container.

I've noticed several eye creams have a false bottom to them.  I am using a Borghese eye cream right now and the jar is very substantial.  But a lot of it is only jar and not product because of the false bottom. 

I just love to open a bag of potato chips and the bag looks  half empty.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

I think we give way too much power to the TV presentations and we expect people whose job is to sell product to protect us, too.  Really???  How well does that work?  

Trusted Contributor

How about our half gallon of ice cream.   I can't remember which 1 but my store has only 1 that gives us a full gallon any more.   When I run out that missing portion could have saved me a late night trip to the store.  :-(.  So far this is my worst problem today.  My glass is still half full.   I can have my vanilla bean Turker Hill with chocolate syrup and nuts for dessert.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Kids toys too....You but something that barely fits into the backseat of tha car when you buy it......and once they take it out of all the packaging...it barely fits in a shoe box...LOL