Respected Contributor

Maybe they need to explain this

So I was reading reviews for a product, and I see an issue that comes up again and again.

That is - how full the jars are.  Don't people understand that they ARE getting the stated WEIGHT, no matter what the jar looks like?  Some products are packaged with room in the jar.  Some products, through shipping or weather may move around to the side.

MANY products I have bought have not been filled to the top of the jar.  I don't know why things are packaged like that, but they are.  Or they are moved around in shipping, etc.  I saw someone post a photo of the jar with the product off to the side.  I have had that happen.  It doesn't mean you are not getting the stated weight.

One review said she had stopped buying the product due to this.  I'm sure it happens once in a blue moon, but hardly ever.  Another said that on television the jar is full - of course it's full on television.

Maybe the host or vendor needs to explain the jars may not be 100% full for manufacturing or shipping reasons.  Gosh.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe they need to explain this

[ Edited ]

Yep. This is especially common in jars that are squat (short), but wide enough to put three or four fingers in comfortably at one time like body butter jars.

It's amazing how many people don't understand how much products shift around inside the container during shipping. I received such a jar that must have been laying on its side as it jostled around in the UPS truck.

When I opened the jar it appeared only half full, with all the product shifted to one side of the jar. I put the lid back on and smacked the bottom of the jar against my hand a few times. The product was still very warm from being in the truck (summer) and it shifted back into place. When I opened the jar again it was full to the top and looked the way it should.

It was like watching a magic trick. If you'd seen it only half full and all product shifted to one side, you'd never have believed it was the same jar, now full to the top.

Trusted Contributor

Hyacinth 003, First I do not want to offend youMOST IMPORTANT  I love reading your blogs. However, one point I personally would like to make. Usually, jars bottles, there are exceptions of course, hit from the bottom contents will rise to top.

Respected Contributor

Always by weight...   the same with food.  Buy a bag of chips or a box of cereal or crackers, and they are never remotely full.  They are sold by weight.

The only thing you have to be careful about is sometimes the size of the packaging is the same but the content weight has been reduced.  We've all experienced that!  I remember when my Mom used to buy a 1 lb can of coffee....   and then suddenly it was 12oz.  The can size stayed the same!  

Respected Contributor

I notice the little swoopy peaks they create on jars on display, similar to the result of icing a cake and making pretty little swirls with a butter knife.  Yet nothing illegal is going on because the actual weight of the product is always available.  Its another buyer beware situation.

Honored Contributor

To me when they show a cream-filled jar on TV, they over-fill it on purpose to show you what the product looks like. No way they can ever put a lid on it because there's too much stuff in it and besides who ever gets a topped-off product like that anyway?Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003

This is especially true with air whipped products which 'settle' during storage and shipping.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I received a jar of Elemis facial cleansing balm.  It arrived on a hot day. 

It had gone sideways in the jar leaving a big gap on one side of the jar.  It also experienced some melting.  I knew it was from the shipping.

A LOT of products don't fill the jars to the top.  These products are getting angry and bad reviews because they complain they are being cheated. 

Yes, those pretty little displays on the air are fooling some people into thinking THEIR jar will arrive like that.  No, it's just for the demonstration.

These companies should read the reviews and see if there is some discreet way to address this.  For those who haven't figured it out!  They will miss out on some very bad reviews!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Always by weight...   the same with food.  Buy a bag of chips or a box of cereal or crackers, and they are never remotely full.  They are sold by weight.

The only thing you have to be careful about is sometimes the size of the packaging is the same but the content weight has been reduced.  We've all experienced that!  I remember when my Mom used to buy a 1 lb can of coffee....   and then suddenly it was 12oz.  The can size stayed the same!  

I once read an article about this.  A study was done that said that consumers really HATED a price increase.  So keeping the price and lessening the amount of the product was preferable.  So, make the jar of peanut butter smaller rather than increase the price on the standard size.

They think we don't notice, right?

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  Another good example is tuna fish.  I've been buying it forever, and I remember when it was 7 oz. (then 6.5 oz, then 6 oz).  I don't have a can in front of me, but I think they are 5 oz. now.

Laura loves cats!