Frequent Contributor

Re: Mally TSV First Impressions

I am the OP and I have now worn the TSV for a day and a half. 

For me, the absolute star of this kit is the mascara! I have decent lashes and one coat of this makes my lashes look unbelievable and it wears like iron. NO flaking and no raccoon eyes at all. All day... I would buy multiples of this to have on hand if it is sold by itself. This is such a rarity for me because mascara usually disappears on me during the day. 

The foundation is ok but it is yellow based and as I said, I am cool/neutral toned and I have to pile it on to cover the pink/red in my skin. I have the light and the amount I have to put on makes it look a little too light for me. The medium would be too dark for me so I would likely fall somewhere in the middle of the two shades. It does wear well and looks good but I had to touch up in the middle of the day. 

The brush is pretty much useless with this powder. Powder flies everywhere. I used one of my IT foundation brushes to apply. 

Shadow sticks.   The Smoky Quartz is an almost dead on dupe of Trish McEvoy Smoky Quartz shadow stick which is a HG for me.  I would keep Mally's for a back up except it does not wear as well as Trish's does. Mally's lasted through lunch for me but by about 2 p.m. it was creasing and starting to fade. Trish's lasts all day and I have to remove it at night. Yesterday, the Mally's shadow stick was gone by evening and all I had to remove was that wonderful mascara. 

The lighter color in Mally's shadow sticks, while I like the color for a highlight, it did not wear well at all. It is dryer than the smoky quartz and applied patchy and was gone in an hour or two.

As stated previously, I really dislike the color of the gloss and I REALLY DISLIKE the formula of the gloss. She wasn't kidding when she called it a laquor. It's thick and sticky and I used it as a top coat on another color and it came off in patches on my lips and face. 

So, I am debating on keeping this kit. I want that mascara for sure. If the foundation was slightly more neutral toned, I would really like it. The shadow sticks are hit and miss with me. So, I am debating. I hate to send back that mascara. 

Honored Contributor

@Mollyqr thank you for the great review! Your experience with her "new" shadow sticks was exactly like mine. The mascara sounds nice. I do know her foundations tend to lean yellow, which I can't use as they make me look jaundiced. I've tried some of her lip products in the past that were thick and sticky like you described this one and they are really gross. I don't like that feel on my lips at all. I've also tried a gloss or two of hers that felt gritty on, which was weird. Not sure if there were glitter chunks in it or what but yuck. She had a gloss I loved but I heard that has changed so I won't be repurchasing, sadly. Anyway, I'd say if the only thing you really love is the mascara send the kit back and wait until the mascara comes out (if it isn't already) and just buy that. No sense in spending the money all the whole kit for one item you really like.

Thanks again for the review!

Respected Contributor

Thanks again for your great review.  I thought my Light was to be delivered today.  Nope, it was the Medium.  One look at the powder and I knew it was a no go.  It is so DARK!  I left everything sealed, and hopefully can try out all the stuff in the light when it gets here.  How this shade can be called "Medium" is beyond me!  To me it looks like dark Tan.

I wish that they had at least shown the shades in the compacts that they had set up...UP CLOSE!  Just showing on a model doesn't do me much good.  OK, enough of my rant on this issue.  I'll shut up.  Hoping for better luck tomorrow.     

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honest opinion...just got it yesterday.

I am 66,  and was thinking there is no powder that will look good. I am feeling 50/50 on this.

The PROS:

-It does not settle in lines

-If you apply more, it does not get icky

- You really cannot see it like you do with other mineral and powder foundations

CONS:

-Ordered the Med and it is quite dark (BTW, I am Greek), however, when I put it on it seemed to be somewhat ok, but definitely more on the dark side....more for summer

-There is absolutely no "hydrating" effect to this and you will definitely need to moisturize prior. I did not do that yet to see if it would then ball up

-The coverage is VERY minimal and if you want med-full coverage, you will need to reapply....... A Lot!

The eye sticks are nice

The lip gloss is a goopy mess......literally your lips stick together and the color is not very flattering..maybe for "young" people...this went right in the "circular file" (trash)

The best part was the mascara.think it is her best formulation to date.

Think I will keep it, but the powder is for days when you just need to "take the edge off" to run a few errands, but if you think you will run into people, forget it....however, I am impressed that she was able to make a powder that did not look like death on an older skin..

If you are  sensitive to smell, forget about even opening the included  little  gift bag seal  . The smell of plastic and chemical was just HORRIBLE!!!!!

-

Frequent Contributor

I forgot to mention that bag, Ambersmom.... You are right....it stunk to high heaven... It's an ok bag for a free bag but the smell is awful.

I have just about decided to return the kit.  I love that mascara....I am wearing it again today.  But, I am not paying 60+ bucks for mascara. But, I will buy that mascara if it is sold separate.

It's not a bad powder foundation,  I agree, it's pretty decent although not full coverage without piling it on. .... but the light color really is not right for me and I have several powder foundations that run circles around this one.

Contributor

The only thing i like in this kit.is the two eyeshadow sticks.The mascara was flaking  on to my face after 5 minutes applying it.The foundation looked to orangy on me.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Darn.....going back....in addition to my comment above, the mascara that I THOUGHT was great is now 5 hours later flaking all over my cheeks...really dissapointedSmiley Sad.

Occasional Contributor

I got mine today.  So far I like it.  I love the shadow stick colors, and they and the masacara are holding up okay so far.  Nice volume and definition on the mascara.  The lip gloss....after I drank some water and felt like the shallack was gone, it actually looks pretty ok.  i thought I would totally hate it, but less is more.   The foundation isn't bad...I like the BM liquid makeup better, but it I have no specific complaints yet.  I guess I am the odd woman out...I am probably keeping it.  Will be determined by what happens on the eyes for the rest of today.

Contributor

I think I got the second shipment that was going to offered on auto delivery. The bag was pink not the dark color shown and instead of a champagne eye stick there was a taupe colored one
Respected Contributor

Well, for all who like it, KUDOS!  It's a no go for me.  Mally said something to the effect of once it hits the warmth of your skin, it doesn't feel or look like a powder.  I tried with 2 different primers, and then a moisturizer....Still felt and looked like powder on me.  

I guess my skin is just to dry for ANY powder anymore.  I'll stick with my Dr. D's SPF 30 Defence Day Cream.  I've used this for a long time as my light foundation.  Thought I might be able to use Mally's powder for the hot summer months.  Not.  Sigh.....

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey