Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup for Senior citizens

@151949 wrote:

Personally, I do not find Cindy Joseph to be all that attractive. She is rather average. I know many women who are in their 70's that are more attractive than she is at only 60. Her hair , IMO, is an unholy mess most of the time. The word stringy comes to my mind to describe her hair. Anyway , I don't think she is the best example at all of a beautiful senior citizen.

I believe she's more like 66.  I'd love to have her bone structure.  

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

At 60 I'm finding I have to use a lighter hand when filling in my eyebrows because defining them like I always have looks too harsh now.  I recently read Cindy Joseph's advice not to try to replicate the brows you had in your twenties and with your eyebrows getting more sparse, to just "go with it".  I find I can't quite leave them alone completely because of the over-plucking I did in my youth but I'm trying to fill in a little less.

Also, I'm finding it more challenging getting a natural look with eyeshadow but I can't forgo it completely because I have slightly hooded eyes and need something in the crease to give me definition and depth, otherwise my eyes look "flat", if you know what I mean.  Aging just sucks... lol.

@Texasmouse - I have the same problem.  I want to wear eyeshadow but still keep it natural looking.  I've been using Naked, which are all neutral matte eyeshadows and they look good. 

@Winkk

Is this the brand? TIA

@Texasmouse - Sorry, the correct name is Urban Decay.  This is the one I use.  Ulta has a nice selection of their products. 

s1637719-main-grid.jpg

Respected Contributor

I've always needed to wear at least a little makeup because my natural coloring is pretty pale.  However, at 68 I've found I've needed to make adjustments every few years as my face has changed.  More recently, I'm seeing needed adjustments more frequently (like every 6 months!).

You can't just do what you do and expect it to always work.  The biggest change I've seen is that I used to be able to just throw on a couple things and be out the door in 10 minutes.  Now, it takes me that long just to cover up all the redness and darkness all around my eyes.  Then, once I have a clean palate, I can proceed with the enhancements.  Try to think of it in those terms, as these changes occur slow enough as to be missed for a long time.

My favorite foundation is IT Celebration Illumination powder compact.  I've found that as long as I don't over apply, it looks good.  A top coat of Laura Geller's Gelato Swirl Illuminator is a MUST to pull it all together!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn  On YouTube, I've searched "make up for mature women"....many videos that are helpful.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I agree. Cindy could do more w/ herself to look her age, but still look attractive...think Lauren Hutton.

Honored Contributor

Cindy might feel comfortable with how she looks. I've seen her with makeup and without, Imo she's quite lovely either way. Working in Hollywood over twenty years assure you most stars or models look very different without smoke and mirrors. Alicia keys promoting makeup free skin refreshing change. Either way, Let's embrace choice. No matter choice to wear makeup or not wearing.
Honored Contributor

I have quit wearing eye shadow all together. I just apply my eyeshadow primer which is a beige color. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity  Love your post. Yes, lots of adjustments to make as we age. My biggest one was hair....It's naturally very dark brown & have colored it since a very young age when it went all white. Dark hair w/ fair skin looked aging. I got heavy light highlights & am gradually letting my white hair come in & adding light brown lowlights. All over lighter hair & less contrast is much better for me. I've always done brows, but now use an eye shadow instead of pencil for softer more natural look. Foundation was never my favorite & have stayed w/ a tinted moisturizer w/ SPF & concealer where needed. Blush: even though fair, toned down from brighter pink to NARS Orgasm (a universally flattering pink/peach). Eyes: I use an eye primer instead of shadow....lighter shades to brighten area (Laura Mercier & Trish McEvoy made them famous, but avail. for much less). The biggest change in eyes was learning to tightline: place gel liner between lashes to define eyes before mascara, make lashes look thicker & avoid using eyeliner which takes up lid space if have hooded lids. Lips are still a pinky nude w/ gloss.

My Mom at 88, never changed her makeup since my wedding 47 yrs. ago. You can put her before & now photos side by side & w/ all the wrinkles & sagging skin, the heavy foundation is still there, turquoise shadow and liner top & bottom, heavy blush and red lips (see why I've always been a makeup minimalist?). I've tried to get her to at least lighten up, but no luck. She looks like the character in the Baby Jane movie. I vowed NEVER to over do my makeup at 18 or 68!

Honored Contributor

When I went from a brunette to one with reddish highlights, I had to change up the makeup to using non red shades.

I cannot use very shimmery shadows below the brow line due to the shimmer emphasizing fine lines. 

Also it's better for me applying blush at the cheekbone, not at the apples of the cheeks. Brows can be filled in in sparse areas, but do not use a heavy hand as it looks 'odd'.

I'm a young looking 60 so some of my advice may not apply for all.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I feel fortunate that my Mom taught me from the beginning to wear my MU so it looks natural. She would never have worn any MU that you could see was makeup. The point is for you to look like an improved upon you - not like you painted your face.