Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup for Senior citizens

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

PSX_20160523_080153.jpg 

Last summer..I like the lighter lip gloss. Very little makeup.

You're my inspiration to get rid of my over processed blonde hair color. I am tired of split ends and damaged hair I have about 2 inches of new growth which is about 10% gray and dark brown ...my husband likes it too which surprised me.  My hair is a pixie cut which I love. Looking forward to new beginnings.Heart

Honored Contributor

I seem to be in the minority, I'm pretty much doing what I've always done.  Bare Minerals Foundation, Glee Blush, mauve or nude lipstick, one coat of mascara.  Always fill in eyebrows, they disappeared about 20 years ago from menopause.  I've never looked "good" in shadow so I only wear it when I'm "playing" at home. Same with liner.  But I do love my makeup and am currently in 3 sample programs.   

Honored Contributor

Trinty, When I decided to stop coloring chose pixie cut! Loved it. Imo because mine was very dark cutting short made the process easier.
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Trinty, When I decided to stop coloring chose pixie cut! Loved it. Imo because mine was very dark cutting short made the process easier.

Yes and I can't wait for healthy hair again. No matter what dyes were ruining the texture of my hair. I have a good hairdresser but every 3 weeks I had to have touch-ups. It was a lot of time to commit. Also makeup looks all wrong that I was wearing. I am enjoying a new pallette of colors. I am mid sixties.

Honored Contributor

I am 67 and I find that less is more.  I wear an oil free tinted moisturizer by Laura Mercier.  If I wear mascara, I now prefer brown over black.  I wear blush but I apply and then wipe some off.  For lips I wear color but not vivid and I do have a nude that actually works for me which is Laura Mercier's Brown Sugar (most nudes wash me out) but I do wear other shades like Healthy Lips by LM and Brown by Bobbi Brown.  I also have Doll 10 pink shades (I love lipstick).  For eye shadow -- if I wear it -- it is a very light swipe across the lid to give a hint of color.  No eyeliner but sometimes a charcoal gray pencil under the eye dotting lightly.  That's my routine and it works for me.  I look myself but it little better with some color.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make-up just isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger but that doesn't stop me from buyingSmiley Happy  I use brown mascara now because it's more flattering.

Someone shortened a makeup brand and I don't recognize it:  WNW?

ETA:  just figured out it's Wet 'n Wild.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
First time in weeks decided to put a full face of makeup on. Staring in the mirror not liking what I see. Explain a little back story. 58 no longer working, returned home to Lake Placid area. My lifestyle is very different than living in Hollywood. Except for work, I never wore heavy makeup nor do I now. Before the holidays ordered Tartelett Matte shadows, Very pretty love the matte finish. But! For some reason no longer like eyeshadow ?!? Learned proper application for older eyes from several beauty- Youtuber channels. Fact is! Looks odd! Can't put my finger on why? Same with deep plum lip color used to love it. Do like Doll 10 blush & contour palette. Think it's time for a change. Anyone else experiencing challenges? TIA🌷

@Sweet_Serenity

What color is your skin tone?   I just helped a neighbor adjust her makeup shades because nothing looked right.  She was wearing this harsh red lipstick that wasn't the least bit flattering!   Reason?  She liked it!   It looked TERRIBLE on her, whether she liked it or not.   We tried a softer rosy coral color and it just lit up her face ... she loves it because she looks so good!

I have a feeling that plum lipstick is all wrong for you these days.

HTH

They are saying now that the most flattering lipstick shade matches the color of vthe inside of your lips. For me that is lipstick queen medievil but sometimes I do wear a nude also .

Honored Contributor

Speaking of lipstick.... I just tried L'Oreal Eva's Nude. It is a beautiful shade and very soft. I have porcelain skin tone and it is very flattering. There are different nudes from L'Oreal that don't look washed out like the typical nude lipsticks I have tried.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Make-up just isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger but that doesn't stop me from buyingSmiley Happy  I use brown mascara now because it's more flattering.

Someone shortened a makeup brand and I don't recognize it:  WNW?

ETA:  just figured out it's Wet 'n Wild.

Yes 🙋
Honored Contributor

Personally, I do not find Cindy Joseph to be all that attractive. She is rather average. I know many women who are in their 70's that are more attractive than she is at only 60. Her hair , IMO, is an unholy mess most of the time. The word stringy comes to my mind to describe her hair. Anyway , I don't think she is the best example at all of a beautiful senior citizen.