Valued Contributor

Re: Makeup for Senior citizens

1. It's a good idea to have a "makeover" periodically at a makeup counter you enjoy.  New techniques and re-evaluate!  Somehow at 59 I don't think of myself as a "senior", although I now qualify for discounts!  I also make sure to visit my derm a couple times a year and won't go down without a good fight!  A tiny bit of filler can make a huge difference  as well as good skin care, diet, exercise and the less is more idea!  Heart
Respected Contributor

@Winkk

Thanks Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

PSX_20160523_080153.jpg 

Last summer..I like the lighter lip gloss. Very little makeup.

You're my inspiration to get rid of my over processed blonde hair color. I am tired of split ends and damaged hair I have about 2 inches of new growth which is about 10% gray and dark brown ...my husband likes it too which surprised me.  My hair is a pixie cut which I love. Looking forward to new beginnings.Heart

@Trinity11

That's what I did six years ago and I haven't looked back.  I wear it super short and all gray and a week doesn't go by that a stranger doesn't compliment me on my hair. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 70 years old and wear very little make-up. I wear a primer under my make-up. I wear Bare Minerals complexion rescue, Philosophy high gloss lip shine, Tarte smooth operator blush, Tarte smooth operator micromized clay finishing power, IT eyebrow pencil and a dab of Bare Minerals eyeshadow. I have a drawer full of eyeshadows from Bare Minerals. I use Tarte mascara. This is what I use and it works for me. I know this sounds like alot but I use a very light hand when applying and it looks natural.  I really liked Tarte but they do not carry it on the Q.

Respected Contributor

I do not consider you a senior citizen Smiley Happy   you are still very young. I am 61 and people are shocked when I say that. Things is, most of us actually look at least 10 to 15 years younger than folks did at that age decades ago. Clothing, hairstyles, being active and in the gym, and yes make-up I believe account for all of that.  I have always believed as I aged, less is more. I absolutely love eye make-up and am a lipstick addict. I have never worn foundation because I had pimples and oily skin in my teens and 20s, and by the time I hit my 30's and 40's I realized I didn't really need it. Just moisturizer and blush. In my 20's, I really played up my eyes with liner, shadow and good mascara...lips too. But now, I still wear my blush and mascara, a little soft liner under the eyes, and of course, my lipstick!  I hardly, if ever wear shadows anymore. 

Honored Contributor

The only changes I've made in the last 6 or so years since I retired:

Shade lighter foundation

Lighter blush - (I made my own by mixing all my other odds and ends cake blushes and bronzers together with a Shimmer powder that Almay used to sell.  I just kept adding a another until I got a color I liked.  It will last me the rest of my life.)

Only grayish brown matte shadow (my own mix - I couldn't find the right shade so I made one).  It also doubles for eyebrows.

No change to lips ... always wore colors close to natural lip color.  

Honored Contributor

I'm 66 and I too feel like less is more. I don't have deep wrinkles or pores and my skin is smooth and not highly pigmented or red for my age. I still am able wear to Laura Geller's  Baked Balance &Brighten and bareMinerals BareSkin serum foundation and their blush. I  wear a little mascara and matte eyeshadow in a neutral color. I love lipstick and try everything that comes out. With my skin tone I can wear most any lip color as long as it's not too dark or light pink or anything orange. I like makeup and no doubt will continue to wear it until it just doesn't work anymore. I am looking forward to no make at all in the future though.

Trusted Contributor

I am constantly trying to re-evaluate what looks best on me, but I agree that a lighter hand seems best. I usually do Laura Geller's b&b or a L'oreal liquid foundation, a soft pink blush of some kind (have about 6 of them I alternate, brows, mascara, and a nude or pink lipstick. I love eyeliner, but don't wear it much (soft gray or brown onlly). I too have mostly given up on shadow, but I put on a soft matte brown in the crease once in a while. I've thrown out most of what I had--hate that as I just love playing with make-up even at 65.

Respected Contributor

I think the less is more strategy is best. I too switched to the Urban Decay Naked Eye palette and use MAC Painterly as a shadow base, or sometimes alone as it covers discolored lids beautifully. No creasing allowed!

Light foundation , a touch of blush and a touch to fill in brows. Lip balm to keep lips fresh and not too matte or slippery as lipstick/gloss may travel....never good. Eyelash curlers are a must and some mascara.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I'm 62 and just don't "feel" old.  When I saw the title to this thread I was thinking along the lines of an 80 year old...no doubt in anyone's mine about being a "senior citizen"...58 is not a senior citizen....at least to me.

Yes it is mature skin though and I still wear a full face of makeup when I go out.  However it's with a light hand and I wear a mix of sheer & opaque makeup.  I don't wear black eyeliner anymore but have moved to a medium shade of brown (I have brown eyes & an olive complexion).  It looks more natural.  I still like a red or berry shade of lipstick but I'll wear a sheer version of it.