Esteemed Contributor

I am sure the make-up is to make the acne less noticeable.....kids can be mean....

Frequent Contributor
Sephora or ulta or clinique would be good places to start. I suffered from bad acne when I was in my teen & unfortunately still do now that im in my mid 30s. Kids can be so cruel. I would also try to get her into a good skin care routine including sunscreen (if not already doing this) protecting & taking care of your skin is important at any age you're never to young to learn that. You want to go for a natural look with her being 13 & no I don't see anything wrong with a 13yr old wearing makeup nothing wrong with getting a confidence boost from it heck that's why we wear it. Don't add to many different products at once take it slow & see what works because as another poster stated a product can have the reverse effect & make the acne worse. Also let her know to embrace herself inside & out she is a beautiful young lady. Best of luck & let us know how it turns out :-)
Honored Contributor

@januarybaby wrote:
I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Neutrogena (drugstore) and Clinique (department stores/Sephora) both have good makeup lines and acne products. Neutrogena makes Skin Clearing Foundation, which contains salicylic acid, a BHA that's great for treating acne. (Paula's Choice 2% BHA is a salicylic acide treatment I use as an adult to keep my skin clear and spot treat hormonal breakouts.) Clinique also has an Acne Solutions foundation that comes in liquid or powder form. The best advantage of the Clinique line is that you can get a sales associate to match your foundation color in the store and then get a sample to try at home for a few days, whereas with a drugstore foundation, you need to buy it, try it, and return it if doesn't work for you, and repeat.

Honored Contributor

@cef001 wrote:

Thank goodness I had boys. I would never let my daughter wear makeup at 13. I wouldn't care what her friends her age were doing.

She came here for help, not to be judged. If her daughter is feeling low self-esteem because of acne, a little makeup might help her feel better about herself until she gets past it.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

Thank goodness I had boys. I would never let my daughter wear makeup at 13. I wouldn't care what her friends her age were doing.

She came here for help, not to be judged. If her daughter is feeling low self-esteem because of acne, a little makeup might help her feel better about herself until she gets past it.

She should express to her daughter she is beautiful regardless of acne and not make her feel she has to put makeup on to feel pretty. And makeup is only going to aggravate the acne worse. It's a trying time for girls AND boys. This is the time we teach them to love themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. Not hide behind gobbs of makeup. 

Valued Contributor

I started wearing makeup at 10 or 11, I had horrible acne and can relate. At that time, there were not a lot of options, so I wore Cover Girl or Maybelline. Now, thankfully we are in a new era with lots of choices. I would suggest mineral makeup, as not to aggravate her skin even further. Of course, one of the top choices is usually Bare minerals (I do like the matte version) but there are lots of independent companies that make really nice foundations as well, ie. Meow Cosmetics, Aromaleigh, Southern Magnolia Minerals, Lucy Minerals, etc. Most companies offer low cost samples, so your daughter can get a feel for what she likes and what may or may not work for her. Your daughter's skin will get better, my heart goes out to her.

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Help

[ Edited ]

@cef001 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

She should express to her daughter she is beautiful regardless of acne and not make her feel she has to put makeup on to feel pretty. And makeup is only going to aggravate the acne worse. It's a trying time for girls AND boys. This is the time we teach them to love themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. Not hide behind gobbs of makeup. 

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for a young teen. They know what acne does to their looks, and their peers can be brutal. A mother should always tell her children that they are beautiful, but she should also remember and understand that that age group already has so many vulnerabilities even without suffering from acne.

There are many options for a foundation that would not aggravate the skin. And there are good online sites for help as well; e.g., acne.org.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for a young teen. They know what acne does to their looks, and their peers can be brutal. A mother should always tell her children that they are beautiful, but she should also remember and understand that that age group already has so many vulnerabilities even without suffering from acne.

There are many options for a foundation that would not aggravate the skin. And their are good online sites for help as well; e.g., acne.org.

The OP doesn't even mention if this is to cover acne. She mentioned that the acne is being treated and her main concern is with her daughters makeup turning orange and not lasting. Girls are growing up too fast. It starts with makeup. They wanting to look more like late teens then 13 year olds. It starts at home. Next is birth control at 14. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can relate to dealing with acne and a teenager.  After years of dermatology bills and prescriptions, we found the solution was ProActiv.  I wish we had ditched the dermatologists and tried it sooner!  Please consider one of those kits, usually available on easy pay at QVC with money back guarantee.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Help

[ Edited ]

@cef001 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

There are many options for a foundation that would not aggravate the skin. And there are good online sites for help as well; e.g., acne.org.

The OP doesn't even mention if this is to cover acne. She mentioned that the acne is being treated and her main concern is with her daughters makeup turning orange and not lasting. Girls are growing up too fast. It starts with makeup. They wanting to look more like late teens then 13 year olds. It starts at home. Next is birth control at 14. 

I think you might reread the OP. Here it is:

"I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

They may be addressing the acne, but she still is "plagued" by it; hence, the plea for advice on makeup -- that doesn't turn orange or disappear.

This doesn't sound anything like wanting to look older. A good foundation wouldn't do that anyway. As for the very O/T mention of birth control, that would make for an interesting thread by itself.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland