Super Contributor

Re: Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum

On 1/26/2015 BellaCarro said:
On 1/26/2015 myshell624 said:
On 1/26/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I know magemay has been using it and has repurchased. She's very happy with it. Before I got my new script for RetinA filled, I gave it a go and had no complaints or adverse affects. I still believe the prescription RetinA is better, but there are people who don't want to bother with seeing a dermatologist and either are unable or don't want to go the prescription route so this it an ideal option for them.

Thanks JLF! If my skin starts looking bad, I'll know the Retin-a is doing more than it seems. I like that I can apply a Retinol product under my eyes and on my neck. I don't apply the Retin-a in those places. We'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to trying the serum and eye cream:-)

Is this the product with a supposedly new form of Vit A? I remember a lot of talk about it here. Do you recall the form of A or what made it so different? Or, am I recalling a new form of C? I hope you love it, myshell. Please let us know!

I'll report back:-) It's supposed to be here tomorrow. You can't beat iherb for fast shipping!

Super Contributor

I have not tried this serum but I do use the eye cream and love it I will be trying the other products because I have had such good results with the eye cream and their products won't break the bank. The recommendation came from one of the lady's from this blog. Thank you for that.
Honored Contributor

On 4/25/2015 Snarfazian D Meatsweats said:

In Testing % worraps

You NEED to stop your stupid posts all over the boards!! Are you mentally disturbed or just plain have no life . Knock it off !!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

myshell - this MH serum might be a great overall product but over time, Retina A is always going to be more effective, just due to it's strength. But it can take at least 6 months or more to start to really see those results (of turning back the clock, so to speak.) However, when started on the younger side, retina A will make a far bigger difference in the prevention of aging which, in essence, equates to the delay of actual aging of the skin. If I recall correctly, you are on that "younger side" still, yes?

With the additional ingredients in this Mad Hippie Serum, your skin might respond more obviously in the short term yet that would probably be more of a result of the other ingredients rather than the retinol itself. Hope that makes some sense?!?

As far as where you can apply retina A, yes, you can use it both on your neck and up under your eyes. I did both (as I know many others also did) when I used it and had no problems. If you do notice any sensitivity, then apply a cream first and the RA on top. Was just reading an article by Dr Brandt from last year who said that was how he always used RA and the cream actually helped in the delivery of the RA.

Another choice might be to use RA at least 3 times a week and the MH serum the other 4 nights (or visa versa.) That way you would still be getting the long term benefits of RA along with the short term benefits of the MH serum.

The frustrating thing about RA is the long term commitment required but I doubt you'll ever regret making that commitment as the benefits really do pay off from doing so. Retinols are absolutely fine for those that can't tolerate RA but they will never out-perform RA as they just do not have the strength of prescription strength Retina A.

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2015 wackers said:

myshell - this MH serum might be a great overall product but over time, Retina A is always going to be more effective, just due to it's strength. But it can take at least 6 months or more to start to really see those results (of turning back the clock, so to speak.) However, when started on the younger side, retina A will make a far bigger difference in the prevention of aging which, in essence, equates to the delay of actual aging of the skin. If I recall correctly, you are on that "younger side" still, yes?

With the additional ingredients in this Mad Hippie Serum, your skin might respond more obviously in the short term yet that would probably be more of a result of the other ingredients rather than the retinol itself. Hope that makes some sense?!?

As far as where you can apply retina A, yes, you can use it both on your neck and up under your eyes. I did both (as I know many others also did) when I used it and had no problems. If you do notice any sensitivity, then apply a cream first and the RA on top. Was just reading an article by Dr Brandt from last year who said that was how he always used RA and the cream actually helped in the delivery of the RA.

Another choice might be to use RA at least 3 times a week and the MH serum the other 4 nights (or visa versa.) That way you would still be getting the long term benefits of RA along with the short term benefits of the MH serum.

The frustrating thing about RA is the long term commitment required but I doubt you'll ever regret making that commitment as the benefits really do pay off from doing so. Retinols are absolutely fine for those that can't tolerate RA but they will never out-perform RA as they just do not have the strength of prescription strength Retina A.

Thanks wackers! I actually just started back using a .05% Retin-a cream. I'm using it every third night and plan on increasing it every couple of weeks till I'm up to every night. I experimented with some over the counter Retinols. Mad Hippie was one I tried. I either got irritation or didn't see much results. I realized I was crazy to not be using Retin-a which doesn't irritate me. I'm trying it with just toner underneath. I do allow my skin to dry after I apply the toner. So far that's working but I'll definitely put a cream underneath if I start getting any irritation.

I guess I'm still on the young side. I'm turning 40 in June.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Myshell - yes, you are for sure a mere child at 40!!! I would rather like to be 40 right now myself!! But in all sincerity, you will definitely see the long term benefits from sticking with RA for the next decade and more. I wish I had had that opportunity.

And don't hesitate too apply RA to your neck and under the eyes. Sometimes the neck may get drier than the face but that is easy enough to compensate for by just adding a really good neck cream that is strong in hydration.

Ahhhh - to be fabulous and forty once again! I vividly remember my 40th birthday. It was actually a wonderful b'day for me. I was just sorry to see my 30-something days end but really didn't think much about aging skin at that point.

Have a fabulous fortieth birthday in June!!!