Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

She obviously enjoys her sessions with you and I'm sure she probably enjoys even more the feeling of being pampered and also the conversation!  Perhaps this is the only time she gets for herself and to do something fun strictly just for her!  I wouldn't say anything much to her about it as I would be afraid to hurt her feelings.  But if the right time came up, I might say something like, did you use and enjoy any of the products that I suggested the last time you were here?  And then depending upon what she said, maybe say --- is there a particular look or types of makeup that you would like me to use today that you might enjoy using for your every day look?  

@AngelPuppy1   Oh, we've been down that road. She asks for makeup like mine...natural, but defined. I've even used more liner, blush, extra coats of mascara to be more like the look she arrives with. She loves it when I finish and looks in the mirror saying how much better and younger she looks and so happy with it. We've even had sessions where she does the makeup herself and I see she can do it herself. It's just really puzzling to me. 

@Shanus I would guess she likes the sessions, loves you and doesn't want to hurt your feelings, but likes how she does it best.  

At this point, go with the flow, show her how, and just be delighted to see her and talk to her.  Do the new makeup, show her how if she wants, find new colors and products for her to enjoy and feel wonderful about being an angel to her.

She doesn't want a new look, she wants some company with a wonderful friend and a fun time.  And praise her for something like the color she used, etc.  I think she needs a boost more than a new look, and you are giving her that. It's probably more important than looks anyway!  

Valued Contributor
I would be appalled if someone who treated me, say my hair stylist, was posting comments like this about me on social media, albeit anonymous.
Honored Contributor

@HB glamma 

I don't know if I'd do what @Shanus has done by posting this, but, at the same time it's not in any way hurting her client's feelings or embarrassing her.  I think it's safe to say it's 99.9% untraceable.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the same thing with a hair client. She always love what I did, wanted to change her look, bought the products, and every time she came in, her hair was right back to the way it was. I think they like the change for that moment, but old habits die hard and they revert back to what they know.

Regular Contributor

I recall reading an interview in which Tammy Faye said that lots of people want to give her makeovers.  Her response was maybe Tammy Faye doesn't want one.  I thought that was priceless.   

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@HB glamma 

I don't know if I'd do what @Shanus has done by posting this, but, at the same time it's not in any way hurting her client's feelings or embarrassing her.  I think it's safe to say it's 99.9% untraceable.

@monicakm ....besides, she's not the only client who comes in for a certain look, loves it, but then regularly returns w/ the same look they had before. I think it has a lot to do w/ habit and how uncomfortable change is to some. They bring pics of eye looks, lips, or blush and we discuss it. I come as close as I can, adjusting for their coloring. Some clients even video the lesson w/ their phone.

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps she's simply happy with the way she looks and she sees  you for the updates on makeup and the "me time". Perhaps those in her inner circle she nothing wrong with her traditional routine of makeup application and accept it as a part of her (which is what we all want, right?) and so, she continues with it and is happy with it. 

She's a client who is paying you for your time, correct? I don't see why it matters what she does after she leaves and goes back to her real world. Unless she's wasting your time (in which you would discontinue her being your client), leave it be. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Shanus I read a devotional every day and today's reminded me of you!

I think your greatest talent is listening to people and making them feel important.  And I think far more than the makeup this is what you do for this client we've been discussing.

And that is truly a gift you have.  By this kindness you do make her beautiful.  More than the makeup, more than the outside, you make her beautiful with your respect for her, listening and making her feel valuable: which is a great blessing. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus I read a devotional every day and today's reminded me of you!

I think your greatest talent is listening to people and making them feel important.  And I think far more than the makeup this is what you do for this client we've been discussing.

And that is truly a gift you have.  By this kindness you do make her beautiful.  More than the makeup, more than the outside, you make her beautiful with your respect for her, listening and making her feel valuable: which is a great blessing. 

@Sooner   Thanks you. This makes some of the negative replies seem so unimportant. If I didn't respect her or feel willing to listen, I could just not reschedule and say "I'm booked" when she wants to come in. Somewhat like a hairsylist, I think we become partly a therapist, too.

Respected Contributor

Next appointment, how about asking her to bring in the products she will be using that day.  You can take a before picture, maybe use the same products to tone down the look to more natural rather than using all different products.  Then take an after picture.  So show her how to use her current products to create two different looks.