Honored Contributor

When you use a lip liner or pencil, do you try and match your lips' natural color or do you try and match the pencil to the color you are wearing?  I am not sure of how this is supposed to be and have done both ways.

I don't really like wearing a lip liner but find as I am getting increasingly older, I am having more and more problems with lines and lip products bleeding.  

Is there a particular brand that you think is really good?  Cheap is better for me  (LOL) but will go for more expensive if you really feel it's worth it!

Thanks so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely wear lip liner but when I do, I like for it to match fairly closely. Although they’re not cheap, I like Lancôme lip liners, but only the kind that you actually sharpen, not screw up. In fact, I always prefer pencils that you must sharpen (with “wood”). The others always tear up or the color part breaks off or falls out. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lip Lining - Questions

[ Edited ]

Moisture Renew Transparent Lip Liner by Rimmel. Looks white but goes on clear. Stops feathering. (bleeding)  About $6 at Walgreen's. I don't apply it totally on my lips but rather right smack dab along the very edge thus it also goes on the skin right along the outer edge of the lip. It's the only one I've ever tried that actually worked to stop that bleeding of color.

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Lip Lining - Questions

[ Edited ]

I usually wear a lip primer and not a liner. I have very thin, almost invisible lips, so I need all the help I can get. I don't have a problem with bleeding but since my lips are so thin then my lipsticks just disappear. I 'cheat' when I apply my lipsticks to make my lips appear bigger than they really are. Applying the primer beyond my true lip line makes it possible for my lippies to stay put. Right now I using the NYX lip primer and other days I use the e.l.f. Lip Lock, which is a bit more waxy but I still like it.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I do try to match my liner to my lip color so that I don't look like that 1990 look of a dark liner. BTW I like Jordana lip liners at Walgreens. They go on nicely and are quite cheap. Another trick that I do to keep my lip color looking fresh is I use Serious Skincare Instatox as my lip primer. It is supposed to be a face serum but it's really awful as a face serum. Been using it as a lip primer for years.

Honored Contributor

The only lip liner I use is a transparent one.  No color ... just prevents lipstick from "bleeding."

I get them from either The Body Shop or from Avon.  Both sell the transparent lip liner.   It's called "clear" at Avon.

They aren't always available ... so I usually buy a few each time so I don't run out. I currently have about six unopened ones on hand. (Or worst case scenario .... they are discontinued.)

Respected Contributor

I don't put on my lipstick/gloss without first lining with this wonderful product! From ELF and only $3. I have lots of backups on this baby in case of "discontinued". A must have  for me.

Image result for elf liplock.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

When you use a lip liner or pencil, do you try and match your lips' natural color or do you try and match the pencil to the color you are wearing?  I am not sure of how this is supposed to be and have done both ways.

I don't really like wearing a lip liner but find as I am getting increasingly older, I am having more and more problems with lines and lip products bleeding.  

Is there a particular brand that you think is really good?  Cheap is better for me  (LOL) but will go for more expensive if you really feel it's worth it!

Thanks so much!  

@AngelPuppy1  Instead of keeping up w/ various colors of lip pencils, I use a nude/pink shade close to the color of my lips. You can find drugstore ones, but some can be drying and drag across the lip during application. I use BB Ballet Pink. It’s also good to use the shade close to lip color so you can line & fill in lips and give lipstick something to adhere to.

I also prefer pencils you sharpen, not only for hygiene, but I’ve yet to find an automatic one that doesn’t break off under the slightest pressure.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

This has solved all my problems

Mally Lip Sculpting Double Ended Pencil Duo - A275853

https://www.qvc.com/Mally-Lip-Sculpting-Double-Ended-Pencil-Duo.product.A275853.html?sc=SRCH

@Abrowneyegirl  Yes, I have these, too. They’re purchased according to skin tone....fair, medium & deep, so solves matching pencils to lip colors.