Honored Contributor

Let's Talk Eyeshadows

[ Edited ]

I seldom wear eye shadow but when I do, I want a really good eye shadow that does not flake or smear.  Rate from 1 to 10.  Ten (10) being the best.

My favorites:  Bobbi Brown - 10

Laura Mercier - 10

I was interested in Urban Decay but I have no idea how this shadow is rated  Let us know your favorites and rate individually rate each.

I should have added Stila.  Their shimmer shadows were the best years ago.  I don't know about now but when I purchased, they were a 10.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have no flaking during the day, but I wear Too Face Eyeshadow Insurance (deep set eyes),  I use the foam applicators and tap them off.  My colors are deep and true, not so without the eyeshadow base.

I wear Revlon.

You might want to ask @Shanus since she does makeup for clients.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I seldom wear eye shadow but when I do, I want a really good eye shadow that does not flake or smear.  Rate from 1 to 10.  Ten (10) being the best.

My favorites:  Bobbi Brown - 10

Laura Mercier - 10

I was interested in Urban Decay but I have no idea how this shadow is rated  Let us know your favorites and rate individually rate each.

@Katcat1   There's usually some flaking with most powder shadows, more so w/ shimmers and sparkles. UD palettes only have a few mattes and the rest are high shimmer. Fallout is inevitable. Since you already like BB and LM, why not try their top rated waterproof eye shadow sticks? No fallout and no shadow base necessary. You can always apply a powder shadow on top. If you've already done your other makeup, just hold a folded tissue under your eye. 

Honored Contributor

I hope this is not too much off topic, but what are some of your favorite eyelid primers?  I've really only tried UD & like it but I would like to explore others.  Thoughts?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I really like the Milani palettes, especially the all matte one.  I think Urban Decay has gone way down on the list of beauty brands since they first launched their Naked palettes.  I also really, really like the Sydney Grace and Viseart shadows.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't purchased an Urban Decay eyeshadow in a few years, but it used to be my favorite formula. Really pigmented and smooth, not dry or chalky. But I can't say if it's still like that. That was a 10 for me.

Laura Mercier shadows are nice as well, but more of an 8 for me, because they weren't as pigmented as the UD ones. Also, the shimmer shades are more subdued than the UD ones. Depends on your preference.

The most current shadows I have are the Pat McGrath mini palette that is all shimmer. Those are a 10 for me. Nice pigment and nice shine. 

Viseart matte shadows are also nice, a 9 for me. I had fallout from the shimmers so I don't like those.

I'd be interested in hearing about drugstore shadows. I haven't purchased any since the old Wet N Wild formula. 

I've tried the UD Primer Potion in original and anti-aging formulas. I also tried the Milani Eyeshadow Primer. The Milani one is a thinner consistency but works well. I like the slightly thicker consistency of the UDPP, but I don't like that they added a doe foot to the packaging. The squeeze tube with the narrow tip was just perfect. Less chance for contamination.  

Super Contributor

I use and like Urban Decay.   Not flaky and lays down smooth and great color payoff.

Respected Contributor

My all time favorites are Bare Minerals in the little pots.  They go on so smoothly and last all day.  Subtle colors too.

Valued Contributor

I've used UD in the past; for me, they were a 7-8. I didn't necessarily have a complaint, but they did wear off quickly. I have (and continue to use) the UD primer. I started using Tarte Amazonian clay eyeshadows.  I love them because they stay put (all day) and bled easily.

Valued Contributor

Urban Decay and MAC eyeshadows are great quality, don't flake and blend very well