Honored Contributor

Thank you @Marlies   Puppy pads! lol  Ok, puppy pads it is Smiley Happy  Yes, we live in a ranch style (single story) with a 5" sunken dining room.  DH can build ramps if necessary.  I'm sure he already has all the material in the barn.  And "torture" is exactly what I'm expecting.  Like a Dr once told me, "we didn't learn about people like you in med school"  I loved that Dr!  She got me.  She didn't force traditional treatments on me.  She thought out of the box.  Most Drs have a hard time doing that.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I can't imagine both knees at once tho Smiley Surprised  Surely both hips weren't replaced at the same time were they?

When I had my baby, C-Section 40 years ago, I was in the hospital for a week.  My Dr said I could go home on day 6 but if I wanted I could stay another day.  I wanted!  As long as my baby could stay in my room, I was a happy camper being fussed over and taken care of Smiley Happy  When I was in the hospital in 91 for rather nasty MS episode, it was the same.  I felt comfortable that I was surrounded by people who knew how to care for me.  Food was good, I was in a private room.  What's not to like Smiley Happy  I was literally afraid to go home.  I knew my husband and parents were there for me when I got home but they weren't professionals.  I guess hospitals aren't what they used to be.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Knee Surgery

[ Edited ]

@colleena 

No one has mentioned a reb facility, just PT coming to the house.  Dr is sending a packet with all the info I need and FAQs

Honored Contributor

@colleena 

Thanks!  I could use all over body strength after a year and a half of little movement.  I'm even questioning if I'm strong enough for surgery Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

@monicakmwrote: Talked to the Dr's personal nurse today who told me that it will be at least an overnight stay. They're not wanting patients to stay any longer that absolutely necessary because of covid. Tentatively scheduled for Jan 18 which means another syn visc shot that is starting to wear off and is due to be redone at the end of Nov. I'm guessing everything is up in the air tho due to covid. I'll be happy to wait as long as I need to if I can get the syn visc shots 2x a year.

Yes  it has been a difficult time with covid in the mist of everything. I had my initial right knee replacement Sept 2019, developed a staff infection in my knee May 2020 in the middle of covid, (not sure how that happened although I do have Type 2 diabetes but a hugh blister developed on the stitch line of my knee and it started  draining, antibiotics didn't help) so the knee hardware was removed in June 2020, only one person allowed to see me during the stay, went home on IV antibiotics  and a walker for one month then hospitilized again for 9 days after the antibiotics affected my kidneys, finally had the 2nd knee replacement Sept 2021, still only one family member could come to the hospital. It was a difficult road but outpatient therapy and a dynasplint for several months has helped tremendously so I am doing ok. I still have some swelling in the knee and not at full flexion but much improved and I will take that !   I also had the synvis injections before resolving to sx. Hang in there, take care and follow the doctors orders. If you have to stay a few days do what the doctor says is necessary, stay ontrack with therapy and I do wish you a full recovery. God Bless !

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

oooook.  These twice a year syn visc shots are looking darn good!!!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile but figured I better do it now before we're thrown to the curb like last weeks trash (or is it yesterday's trash)?

My knee surgery may take place in the next two months.  I spoke to my Dr's nurse to ask about hospital stay (how long?).  It's a total knee replacement.  
She said it's OUTPATIENT!!! Smiley Surprised  Not in my universe it's not!  I don't even want to wake up for a week! LOL  Everyone I've talked to said 2-3 days.  

If you've had knee surgery or are a friend of or a friend of a friend of someone with recent total knee replacement surgery, how long were or they in the hospital?

My MIL had it done.  It was outpatient but she went directly to rehab for a week afterwards.  Plans for rehab were very last minute.  The surgeon wouldn't say yes or no to rehab until after surgery.  

Honored Contributor

Only once they thought I had a blood clot right after the operation.

I'd just gotten down off of the bed where they operated...settled in the bed when I had to get back on it.  But I didn't have any kind of clot.

They put some kind of ice machine like thing on your leg.  I went on and bought the thing ahead of the operation.

That thing has come in handy.  About 2 years ago my youngest daughter broke her knee skiing.  It was a terrible break.  

But she was lucky.  She was in Vail (she lives in Colorado).  When they took her to the small hospital there, the Dron call was the same Dr who operates on the Olympic ski team (ie the best).

He operated after the swelling went down some the next day.  After a few days she got to go home.  Then after some time she had the pins removed.  She used my ice thing too.

So my son-in-law had to have knee surgery from when he messed it up in track in high school and in college.  He used it.

Now my best friend is having knee surgery.  She's going to borrow it.  Ha!

I am bla blaming about this thing because it's really good.  It's not cheap, but if you can get it you'll definitely use it.  Ha!

You reminded me of something I recently told my teenage granddaughter.  She's going to UVA.  She wants. To do stem cell research.....humm....where was I?  

Oh!  OK...I remember.  I told her (she's 19) that when you're young, the operations are because you've managed to 'hurt' something.

But when you are old ( like me), you have to have an operation because something's worn out.  You agree to have the operation to improve your life...you don't have much choice.

Please come back and let us rejoice in the fact that you are doing well.

We will be praying that God will take care of you and your family...fondly Annabelle😘

Respected Contributor

I am going in tomorrow for outpatient surgery for my elbow. Fell off a latter onto the cement porch while trying to hang lights and fall garland and fractured my elbow.  Dumb thing to do at age 71.  Surgeon is not sure if he can repair with pins and screws or will have to replace the elbow.  I have to be there at 10:00AM for pre-op and surgery is scheduled for 1:00PM. Hope to be released by 7:00pm. The hospitals where I live are still full of Covid patients. I had a Covid  test last Friday and have had to quarantine since Friday. The surgeon said he will do a nerve block so that the pain will not be so bad the first day. Will have rehab to get my arm straight after surgery. I know that this is nothing like a TKR but still dreading it. 

One of my neighbors is going in tomorrow for TKR. Her second one. From what I have been told the surgery is a lot better than it was say 8 years ago. She does outpatient rehab at a rehab. place close to our neighborhood. 

I wish you best of luck and a speedy recovery. 

Honored Contributor

A rehab facility hasn't been mentioned.  I'm hoping like heck he won't see the need to prescribe that Smiley Surprised  I love my beautiful comfy home and my dog (ok, my husband too) Smiley Wink  The older I get, the less time I want to spend away from all three.