Occasional Contributor

I had it done in January of this year. It was done as outpatient. I did not want to stay in the hospital so that was fine. Surgery at 7:30 a.m. didn't wake until 7:00 p.m. home by 9:00. Nurse came to house next morning to remove the dressing and 2nd PT came to house to torture me. If you live in a single story, you will have a more comfortable recovery. We are in a two-story and stairs are still a challenge today. You won't be able to move very quickly the first 24 hrs., so have puppy pads and depends on hand. Wishing you a speedy recovery down the road.

Honored Contributor

Re: Knee Surgery

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   8 years ago  2013, I had a double knee replacement. I was in on Monday...out on Wednesday. Even then back in 2013, single knee replacement patients went home next day or same day....

I would  bet even double knee replacement patients today in 2021 are sent home next day if not same day.

Most all  single knee patients  in 2021 are out the same day. Less time in hospital equals less time for infection. A plus plus.   I have also had both my hips replaced and I went home the next morning with each hip. 

I was off pain meds other than Tylenol by day 8 after surgery....and by about week 8 after surgery you will start to feel normal again.... you knee will still be a bit swollen, but the  surgery pain pretty much gone. You will feel SO MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE THE SURGERY!   Knees heal from the inside out....so it does take about a full year to heal 100% from the surgery...and it is a pretty big surgery... but in 6 months you WILL BE GLAD YOU DID IT❤️❤️👏👏👏👏

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm ,I never had knee replacement, so can't help in that respect. Just want to send you thoughts and prayers that everything goes well and it helps your pain. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I had one about 4 years ago. Stayed one night in the hospital. Was walking within a few hours. Believe me, you will want to go home. I was woken up ever couple of hours by nurses wanting to check various things so I didn't get any sleep. It's painful but better to be home.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shanus 

Thank you!  I'm such a sissy.  NO pain tolerance!

I hadn't thought about the fact that I wouldn't have you guys here to keep me company during my recovery Smiley Sad  I think every one of us here need the rest of us in our lives for some reason or another.  We get used to having our virtual buddies at our fingertips.  Gosh, first dear sweet Mel and now you guys!  I'd want to say "my life is OVER!" but that might come off a tad melodramatic :/

@monicakm   Life isn't over, but my Q acct. will be closed in protest and any recorded shows deleted. I won't be a part of this selfishness.

Honored Contributor

Knee Surgery is in patient.  You will need physical therapy to get you started on your new knee.  Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.  I had hip surgery (total replacement) and I was in the hospital for several days and I went home but most everyone goes to a nursing home for a week or so.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm What was really helpful to a friend of mine was the class the hospital had for future joint replacement patients which went over the whole hospital process, lots of good questions were answered, someone from pt/ot was there.  She also said they went over some exercises which helped her gain some upper body strength which helped her after surgery.  

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

Talked to the Dr's personal nurse today who told me that it will be at least an overnight stay.  They're not wanting patients to stay any longer that absolutely necessary because of covid.  Tentatively scheduled for Jan 18 which means another syn visc shot that is starting to wear off and is due to be redone at the end of Nov.  I'm guessing everything is up in the air tho due to covid.  I'll be happy to wait as long as I need to if I can get the syn visc shots 2x a year.

Honored Contributor

I'm rethinking it too.  Nothing I wrote last night showed up and the site, altho lots of options is visually way to busy  and dark for my liking and by default has annoying music as soon as you open the page.  You have to scroll to the bottom to turn it off.  

Honored Contributor

I think a family member should be present as an advocate at all times if at all possible.  Too many things to go wrong.